Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headlight On-Off Switch for 1980 GS1000G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight On-Off Switch for 1980 GS1000G?

I'd like to install a toggle lever switch in the headlamp housing of my GS1000G. Despite Federal safety requirements for an 'always on' headlamp, I prefer the 'old fashioned' way. Does anyone have suggestions how to best accomplish this conversion? My thinking is the battery and starter will also function better without the excess drain the stock headlight might cause. Any thoughts?

You can easily install such a switch in the headlight bucket. I wouldn't advise it, though.

Our stock RR units regulate voltage by sending excess energy directly to ground, a limited short circuit, if you will. Having less loads on your electrical system, i.e. removing the headlight, causes more power to be shunted, causing more heat and wearing out the RR faster. So don't try to save power.

If you are sure you want to do this, though, cut the Yellow/White wire from your left-hand control bundle. (It's yellow/White on my 82 100E anyway.) That will shut off the light. Install a toggle switch if you like.

I still don't think it's a good idea. I am currently running with my hi-lo switch wired as an off-lo switch because I have no charging system. Can't ride too long and have to plug in every night. But at least I'm still riding until me stator gets here. :roll:

Best of luck though.

Michael

Comment

My 79 GS850 has an on/off switch for the lights. There is nothing wrong with adding a switch to turn the lights off when starting the bike. Some of the newer bikes do this automaticly when starting. Just make sure to get a switch with enough current capacity 15A

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        make sure to get a switch with enough current capacity 15A
        Headlight line should not be passing more than 5A for standard wattage bulb.

60 Watts / 12 Volts = 5 Amps

But then if your charging system is a little overvoltage or if you have the 90/100W bulb, the current will climb to 7 or 8 amps. And better too much capacity than too little.

Michael

Comment

Gary,

You may be planning too much if your '80 1000 is anything like my '80 550. The Hi/Lo switch had an "off" position already built into it, but there was a plastic "stop" molded into the design (to comply with the new safety laws) that prevented it from moving to the "off" position. The guy who owned the bike before me simply filed off the "stop", and voila ... the headlight could then be turned off. That may be all you need to do!

Good Luck,
          Steve 8)

Comment

No

He doesn't have that option......
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Re: No

Originally posted by chuckycheese
              He doesn't have that option......
              Bummer ... it would have been so easy -- and free!

Steve 8)

Comment

Working...
              X