Don't laugh - Dumb Question Inside.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't laugh - Dumb Question Inside.

This is probably the dumbest thing I will ever have to ask.

How do you change the oil on a '78 GS1000?

Is there a filter or is it just a screen? (and no I'm not running around with 9 year old oil in the bike, I did drain it and refill it with fresh, but I'm not sure if there is a filter or not and my Clymer manual isn't here yet)

Can't say specifically about the 1000, but all the other GSes I've seen have a plate on the lower front of the tranny, between the exhaust pipes. Oil filter resides under that plate. It's spring loaded and there are three nuts that come off of studs to gain access. Not sure what part # the 1000 takes, but I got the filter for my 450 from NAPA. You might have some luck too. Also available from Dennis Kirk and probably quite a few other places. I think even WALMART carries the Fram part. Although, I've been warned that the Fram part is inferior, paper construction or something. I opened one and saw a metal frame. Dunno.

Best of luck.

Michael

Comment

Like he said, works the same at my house Napa stocks them here. Bill

Comment

There are no dumb questions except the ones that aren't asked ... dumb would be if you WERE driving around with nine year old oil and filter because you were afraid to ask!

Regards,
        Steve 8)

Comment

Working...
        X