Swing arm bearing tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swing arm bearing tools?

My manual says that I need special tools to service/replace my swingarm bearings. Does anyone know what these tools are or what I could get by with, the book says to have a shop do this but I'll do it myself anyway.
    How hard could it be?

I just had a look in my factory manual, which has very nice pictures of all those special tools. What they refer to are a bearing puller tool and a bearing pressing tool. I have never done mine, so I don't know whether can knock the bearings out (very carefully!) or need the tool. If in doubt, take the swingarm down to a shop.

Comment

Does anyone know if they can be just knocked out or if the special tools are required?

Comment

You can knock them out, but its f. difficult and destroys the bearings. I've done it once but I'd never do it again. I'd buy the tools, or make one, or go to my local dealer and get him to do it.

Comment

I just switched mine out. I took a piece of steel rod, and knocked the bearing out from the inside. you have to continously move the rod around the bearing so it comes out evenly. Do not use a lot of force while beating on the rod to knock out the bearing and you will be fine. You don't need the "Special Tools". That is a load of crap. They just want you to spend more money.

Comment

JoCo, didn't you find it a little difficult to get purchase on the bearing? The lip is extremely small, lies almost flush with the inner wall of the swingarm and is quite soft.

Comment

You don't need the tools, just knock out one side from the opposite end with a large flat screwdriver, the second side is easy. To install new bearings load them up with grease (waterproof marine is my choice), then use a length of threaded rod with appropriate size washers + bolts and press them right in.

Cheers!

Andre 8)

Comment

bearing swap

Changed mine last year .I'm an industrial mechanic so I wasnt intimidated but it sure was a bitch getting those old bearing races out of the swingarm not impossible though. Use the method described above but be careful not to cock the bearing at to much of an angle as you tap it out as you can distort the shape of the swingarm around them ,being aluminium, which will give you all kinds of grief when you have to push the new ones in.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys, Is sounds kind of like I expected. I'm going to go and have a crack at it shortly, I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

Comment

It turned out fine, the old bearing cases did not just push out though. Just gently drove a fine wedge in beside them and they kind of broke apart and collapsed. Was kind of rusty inside so used a slit rod with sandpaper through it in a drill and cleaned out the swingarm bore and the big spacer. The new bearings were sort of pushed in/ thumped in by hand.
                    All went back together looking like new, all clean and lots of grease.

Another job well done.

Comment

One more thing, take the swingarm off every couple of years and clean the bearings with kerosene and an old paint brush. Then regrease and reassemble, the bearings life will be extended by far. Make sure the dust covers are in good condition.

Andre

Comment

Working...
                      X