1100ed oil leak where cases meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100ed oil leak where cases meet

I've got two oil leaks where the case meet. One is on the stator area just in front of the footpeg. The other is on the front of the motor where the cases meet in front of #4 cylinder. The case bolts are tight. Has anybody had this happen? The topend was done about 6000 miles ago. I thought I had read a post on here where someone had the same problem and fixed it without spliting the cases. I think they may have used rtv or something. Got any clues guys. They only leak when I get on hard. Any Ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Yes, I have the same problem with the same bike! I tried the RTV route, but it didn't work. I'm going to have to yank the motor, split the cases and reseal it. That's the only way to make sure it's done right.
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I think the earlier post I was thinking about maybe Scotty had wrote about it and fixed it. I don't really remember.

Comment

Used superglued and drove approx. 2500 km, until now, no more leak.

At some point I think I have to split the cases anyhow, but it's better to do in the winter.... :roll:

Comment

Working...
        X