Sticky Throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticky Throttle

I've done a lot of work on my bike, and it seems to be running pretty smoothly, though a more lean fuel mixture may help things a bit more. Thanks to all of you, for your suggestions and support, I used many of the troubleshooting tips you folks suggested.

I do, however, have a question about my throttle, it appears that the mechanism is sticking at the handlebar (the carb end seems to move smoothly and the spring seems to have a fair amount of resistance). While I plan to remove and clean it at that point tomorrow, is there a recommended lubricant that I should add before reassembly? Should I not lubricate the throttle at the handlebar?

Also, I'd love to hear any recommendations of shops that might have a good price on rear tire replacement in the Seattle area.

Thanks - again.

Silicon lube is a good start. White grease if the silicon lube doesn't last.

Michael

Comment

so a lithium(white) grease is > silicon spray? both of which I have kicking around somewhere..

Comment

White grease is messy. Silicon would be where I'd start.

Michael

Comment

Re: Sticky Throttle

Check that the inboard end of the throttle/grip is not rubbing against the kill switch housing. There should be about a 1/16" gap between them.The throttle sleeve (plastic) inside its housing should not need any lubricant/grease/silicone etc. It will not hurt anything though if you do put some grease inside the throttle housing. The housing is held closed by two screws, so there shouldnt be any problem with mess. You might want to put a thin film of grease over the end of the handlebar the throttle sleeve slides over if you do go the grease route.

Earl

Originally posted by PMHallum

I do, however, have a question about my throttle, it appears that the mechanism is sticking at the handlebar (the carb end seems to move smoothly and the spring seems to have a fair amount of resistance). While I plan to remove and clean it at that point tomorrow, is there a recommended lubricant that I should add before reassembly? Should I not lubricate the throttle at the handlebar?

Also, I'd love to hear any recommendations of shops that might have a good price on rear tire replacement in the Seattle area.

Thanks - again.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The silicone spray is cleaner but it does'nt seem to stay very long. If you use a spray tube you can re-apply when you do maintenance just by squirting it into openings though. If you tend to forget things, I would use the white lithium grease. It will stay. Just shake the lithium grease can well before applying.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

thanks a lot to everyone, I'll be on the job tomorrow.. though not yet on my own two feet steadily enough to ride :x

Comment

though not yet on my own two feet steadily enough to ride :x
                You recovering from somthing or just a bit tipsy?

Michael

Comment

beat my legs up at work about a week ago... not yet walking

just sprained them.

Comment

You very well might also want to clean and lube the cable. Clean w/WD-40, and I have a special cable lube. Not sure what's in it.

Also, glad to hear that nobody suggested lubing it with WD-40!

Michael

Comment

beat my legs up at work about a week ago... not yet walking

just sprained them.
                      Bummer. They takin' care of you? What do you do at work?

Michael

Comment

QFC, local Kroger Co. affliate, they hastle like all giant murderous corperations, but only to the normal extent... My legs are healing, just lacking mobility very stiff, not quite functional yet.

Hoping less than a week more in recoup..

Edit (missed half of the question): I took a dive on a wet cement floor while tugging a crate along and slammed my legs into the side of it on the fall; just not being careful enough.

Comment

Working...
                        X