Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment question

Hello,

I've finally gotten around to replacing my valve cover gasket, and while I'm in there, checking the valve clearances.

The tappet clearance spec is .001" - .003".

The smallest feeler gauge I have is .002" (.051mm). Some valves fit this fine, but some this will not fit under. How do I determine the shim size if I can't get the smallest feeler gauge I have between the cam and shim? I'm making sure that the cam node is in the proper position for measuring according to the service manual, and the engine is stone cold. (aside from an 85 degree ambient temp).

Also, any tips on shim removal without a tappet depressor tool? The dealer I went to didn't have the tool. I'll search for this, as I'm sure theres some sage advice about this out there already, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
    Shane

shims

You can buy the gage from a auto out let but you will only get it down to .0015 or from a machine shop supply house down to .001, I have the .001 but I like my valves loose so it not a problem you do need the tool don't risk another method, be sure and get the 29.5 shims and not the 29mm shims like 2 dealers tried to sell me, if you have a mic you can buy shim stock and cut to suit

Comment

Snap-on has feeler gauges down to .001".
      You can get the tappet tool from dennis kirk, there's really no substitute for it, unless, you measure all your clearances then remove the cams and replace the shims.
      You'll also need a source for shims, the dealer near me used to swap them one for one.
      You can also get shims and the tool from www.crc2onlinecatalog.com.

bill

Comment

J C whitney also carries the valve tool, most of the time it is listed in their auto catalogs, in the small motorcycle section they add. Or online. Bill

Comment

cyclerecycle also sells the depressor tool. As for the guage, you will need to go to an auto parts store and get the correct feeler guage. There isnt any substitute.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

This is the smallest feeler gauge that any auto stores near me sell. I found an old gauge I have that goes to .0015 and it still did not fit. All in all, these clearances are way too tight in my opinion, but so be it, I don't have the tool right now, nor the money for the tool + 6-8 shims. I'll re-assemble my valve cover as is, and deal with the valves later, perhaps in the fall.

Thing is, I might be chasing my tail with the lean condition I have right now, fixing it by re-jetting. Who knows, when I get the valve clearances right, it might just get really rich. The threads I read here on that were not really clear as to if its possible to be lean due to excessively tight valves.

Comment

Working...
            X