Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX1100 piston questions

Hey All

I'm a born again noob - my account got blasted because I didn't log in for ages.

Anyway, I am part way through rubuilding my '80 GSX1100E (Australian model). I have the bottom end back together with a new crank and 3rd and 4th gear.

Now I'm looking at the pistons. Couple of Qs - What is the the best way to clean the pistons, and what ring end-gap should I aim for? I'm not doing any performance mods - just a basic rebuild.

Thanks

Ben

...And should I re-use the circlips from either end of the wrist pin?

Comment

Originally posted by 2car
      I think you know the answer to that question already.

Comment

How many miles were on the engine before it was torn down? Im remembering my suzuki just getting a ring and valve job a few thousand miles before i did an overbore and it was starting to burn oil because we used the stock pistons and just put new rings in.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
          How many miles were on the engine before it was torn down? Im remembering my suzuki just getting a ring and valve job a few thousand miles before i did an overbore and it was starting to burn oil because we used the stock pistons and just put new rings in.
          Very little mileage. Original pistons are in excellent condition.

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
            But it's not the answer I want!

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
              But it's not the answer I want!
              Replace the circlips!!!! Polish the piston crowns on a buffing wheel. best way to clean them and the brighter the finish the less build up you will get in future.
              Dink

Comment

Re: GSX1100 piston questions

Now I'm looking at the pistons. Couple of Qs - What is the the best way to clean the pistons, and what ring end-gap should I aim for? Thanks

Ben
                Free end gap (uninstalled) are 7.6mm(.3'') for the 1st ring, and 8.8mm(.35") for the 2nd ring. Ring end gap when ring is in the cylinder is .7mm (.03") for both.

I would just use a bit of fine emery cloth to clean up the sides of the piston, an old ring to scrape out the ring grooves, and make a small scraper out of brass to clean the piston tops and then hit them with a bit the fine emery paper once the major crap is off of the crowns. 8)
                Kevin
                E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                X