Throttle spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle spring

To change the throttle spring do you need to take the gas tank completely off, or just be able to move it slightly? I've never taken a tank off before, is it difficult? Can you get to the spring thru the air box?
    How hard is it to change the springs once you get to it?

Thanks

Dave

Re: Throttle spring

On an 83 750 or any CV carb setup, the 3 throttle springs are mounted integral with the throttle plate carry through shaft. You cannot remove any of them because the carbs will not function without them.
    For the same reason, you cannot replace them with lighter springs. Replacement requires dismantling the carb rack and linkages. That requires removing the gas tank.
    Some of the interior carb parts that must be removed are set with locktite and have been peened over. Those parts must be removed with an impact driver and discarded as the removal process will destroy them.
    Earl

Originally posted by dmplatt
    To change the throttle spring do you need to take the gas tank completely off, or just be able to move it slightly? I've never taken a tank off before, is it difficult? Can you get to the spring thru the air box?
    How hard is it to change the springs once you get to it?

Thanks

Dave
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks Earl,
      I just told my wife that I love this bike. All of the things I thought were going to be pains, turned out to be simple fixes.

I took the throttle/kill switch off and I kept squirting 3 in 1 oil down in the cable and let it work down, then put more in. Did this several times over about 15 minutes. When I put it all back together it's so much easier. What a difference. I won't be able to test that and the new grips I put on til the rain lets up, but hopefully that will make the difference I was looking for.

Dave

Comment

Yep, a dry throttle cable packed up with debris will certainly make the throttle work a ummm ahhhh er wee tad less smoothly. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by dmplatt
        Thanks Earl,
        I just told my wife that I love this bike. All of the things I thought were going to be pains, turned out to be simple fixes.

I took the throttle/kill switch off and I kept squirting 3 in 1 oil down in the cable and let it work down, then put more in. Did this several times over about 15 minutes. When I put it all back together it's so much easier. What a difference. I won't be able to test that and the new grips I put on til the rain lets up, but hopefully that will make the difference I was looking for.

Dave
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X