Timing my 650L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing my 650L

I have a 81 Gs650L. THe carbs,front part of the airbox (piece that attaches to the carbs) and the cam chain tensioner out. I was wondering, from right at this point how i would go about timing the bike. What marks i need to line up ect ect. I dont know much about bikes so you need to speak in dummy language. Thanks

Re: Timing my 650L

I dont believe the timing on an 81 650L was adjustable. remove the three screws on the 6" round cover over the right end of the crankshaft. Underneath, you will see a plate with two sensors, one mounted on the right side of the crank and the other mounted opposite on the left side. At the 12 oclock position, you will see a hold down screw that holds the base plate in place. If the base plate has a slot for the top screw to pass through then the timing can be adjusted. If the screw holds the plate down going through a round hole, then no adjustment is possible.

Earl

Originally posted by rubberman2003
    I have a 81 Gs650L. THe carbs,front part of the airbox (piece that attaches to the carbs) and the cam chain tensioner out. I was wondering, from right at this point how i would go about timing the bike. What marks i need to line up ect ect. I dont know much about bikes so you need to speak in dummy language. Thanks
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, ill look into it. I thought my timing was off, i had to take the starter out a few weeks ago. I put it back together and it wont run, it cranks just fine, and the fuel tank petcock it shooting fuel to the carbs. Although on the petcock there are 2 lines going to it, a vacuum and a fuel line. But above the petcock on the tank there is a gold piece with another place for a line, not sure which one goes there, and now my fuel level gauge wont work, i thought i found the plugs for it but i guess its the wrong ones. Any idea on why it wont run now? Ran great before. Carbs seem to be clean inside. Any idea where the wires to the gauge hook up at? Im lost.

Comment

what timing

Ignition or valve?

Comment

Working...
        X