Engine Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Compatibility

I currently own a 1978 GS 550. The engine needs to be replaced. I would like to get a GS 750 engine instead of a 550 but I don't know if they are compatible. Does anyone know what years and what engines are interchangeable between like the 1977-79 GS 550s and 750s?

Sorry, I dont have a clue. If no one here can anwer that for you, consider calling a motorcycle salvage yard, they sure should know interchange information!

Comment

The 750 frame is quite a bit larger than the 550, but Anything is possible

Comment

STUFF IT BABY!!!!
        That will be the bossest "Gs550 *wink-wink*" in town!!

Dm of mD

Comment

On another web sight(oldskoolsuzuki.info) I saw a 550 with an 1100 in it. SWEET lookin bike.

Comment

There is no way it will fit without major frame surgery. It can be done but the 750 engine is like 3-4 inches taller and maybe 6 inches longer than the 550. The coolest thing to do would find a 600 out of a bandit or katana and swap that in. They *look* to be about the same size engine. You'd get about 80 horsepower and 6 gears. This would be a screaming machine after the transplant and would need an upgrade in the braking and handling department too.

Good luck....

Comment

one of the guys here was able to get a gixer 750 motor in his early 550 frame. he just needed to fab some motor mounts and raise the gas tank.

hope this helps.

ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
              X