Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing starter

Hello All,

I have always used my kick starter on my 79 gs 850, infact I never use the starter. What is involved with removing the starter, and running the bike without the starter in place. I am under the impression that something needs to be blocked off, but what and how?

Thanks

Why would you want to do that?

Don't do it!

But if you're SUUUUUUURE you want to remove it, it's under a thin steel cover located under the carbs. You can just pull it out and disconnect it. If you're going to do that you should really also remove the black cable from the starter to the starter relay, which will be on your electronics panel. You don't want short circuits running around the starter compartment, do you? And if you're going to take off the starter cable you'll probably want to remove the starter signal, in case the solenoid shorts. Basically, take everything off of the starter solenoid except the fat red wire and anything else on the same post. Tape off any exposed ends.

But seriously, unless you've got a great reason, don't take it out. And not using it is NOT a great reason.

Michael

Comment

You'll have to remove the airbox and carbs to effectively remove it.. you'd probably want to seal the hole that the starter motor's gear fits into though... spotweld a little plate over it? or at least put a piece of tape there to keep the dirt out..

I'm actually having trouble with my starter clutch.. is there any way for quietone to remove that... and =D resell it? *doubt it*

you could, at least, resell that starter for a few bucks..

Comment

removing the starter

Hello All,

I would like to remove the starter, because I have modified my 79 gs 850 quite radically. More correctly I have "chopped" alot of it off. Now I know that this could be a touchy subject for alot of you here. Now I know that my gs isn't a Harley, it's much better than that. It is just an attempt to lighten the weight a bit more. I have taken about 30 lbs off the bike now and a starter would reduce that another ten. Not much but, but on a bike that makes a difference. Now this hole left from where the starter pinion goes to the flywheel, would there be any oil comming from this hole or should it be plugged up just to prevent dirt from entering?

thanks

Comment

Yes, huge amounts of oil will come from that hole. It will need a serious plug to make it oil-proof.

Comment

I thought of another thing: If you remove the starter you might as well remove the gear between it and the starter clutch. At least on my 1100, you take the stator cover off (the one below and to the front of the starter). There is a small axle with a two-radius gear set between the cover and the inner panel. Pull that axle and gear, and on mine there is a spacer thing that looks like a washer also. If you take that cover off, be prepared to replace the gasket. They tend to break.

I'll bet you can put a bolt and nut with a big, fat washer and a neoprene washer/gasket on each side of the starter hole to effectively clamp it shut. You better make sure it never ever falls in though. Bad bad bad things could happen with a bolt flying around inside the tranny. A tack weld between the nut and bolt might even be in order. Perhaps just double nut locked situation.

Disclaimer: you life is in your own hands.

Good luck,

Michael

Comment

Working...
            X