New chain you never oil ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New chain you never oil ???

I met a Harley rider, about a month ago, who told me there was a new "O" ring chain available, that never needs oil. I laughed at him & laughed it off. Last week my wife was talking at her work, about me oiling the chain on her bike, and someone laughed at her. He told her there was a new chain out, that didn't require oiling. Am I missing something?

I never oil my chain either!

Shaftie Nick

Comment

A modern harley with a chain?
      I thought they had belts?
      I think that the rider you talked to was thinking about belts lol.

:P

Dm of mD

Comment

I heard about a new product called a "light bulb" and it don't need oil either!! ................Where have these people been all these years? Oh yeah!!! sittin' out front of their local Harley dealers waiting on there bikes to be done.

Comment

Chains will always need some sort of lube.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I think he is misinformed. 'O' ring chains do not really need lube, as the 'O' Rings, which contain lube, are supposed to take care of the inner parts of the chain. However, the outer part still need lube to keep from rust and dirt, etc. I think he was thinking that no lube at all was needed as most are advertised as sealed and lubed.

Comment

Chain wax is all I use.

Comment

Even shaft bikes have cam chains that need engine oil.

Otherwise even oring chains need some oiling to last. If you don't the outsode bushes will wear, and the sprockets will not last long at all.

No oil chains are belts and shafts, unless you fit something like a scott oiler which oils for you.

Comment

could be what they are talking about, although wrong. This chain will still need lube. I just bought one in 520 size to use on my 750 rebuild. Ride On, Ed.
                  1983 GS750ED

Comment

Thanks oldschoolGS. I thought there might be something there, I hadn't heard about. That's probably it, Thanks

Comment

Revolutionize your motorcycle & dirt bike riding experience with D.I.D Chains, the unrivaled choice for everyday riders and professional racers. Our chains, chain kits and motorcycle rims are designed to amplify your bike's performance and are now available online. Shop today and UNLEASH THE POWER OF PERFORMANCE!

Here are a few other sites.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X