Arizona GS1000 information Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arizona GS1000 information Help!

Anyone happen to know how many digits in a VIN number for a 79 GS1000L after the "AZ" letters??
    Im running into some probs having a bike checked (for sale, no title) before I deceide to buy it or not.................

Thanksssssssssssssssssssss

#'s

6 numbers on my 79L but if you have a plate that is riveted to the frame then that is a state supplied vin #, factory are a sticker and begin with GS1000LN # 123456

Comment

I have found that generally, automotive VIN databases dont work for checking motorcycles. Probably due to there being less numbers in a cycle VIN.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

My reason for asking is that im "double checking" what the DMV told me..........im lookin at a bike for sale that according to DMV, is 3 digits short of being a good VIN. (DMV said 8 digits after the "AZ" part)

Yes, auto databases dont run motorcycle checks cuz of the 17 digit VIN numbers ( i think the long number is the reason)

Im trying to check this bike out before purchase since it does not have a title!

Comment

the complete vin # should be stamped into the steering head on the right side

Comment

Lynn

I know the location of the VIN, im trying to verify out what constitues "a complete VIN number"

Comment

The vin for my 79 is GS850106951 as listed on my title GS 1000 uses GS100?? or GS1000

Comment

it should be stamped on the motor and stearing head. your vin number will look like this gs1000xxxxxx. it should be 12 numbers long.

Comment

I had asked about bikes in Arizona because of the VIN, it starts out with "AZ" followed by numbers, this bike does not have a VIN that starts out with GS1000, at least not one thats stamped...

Comment

vin

so what does the vin plate look like and where is it on your bike, eng. and frame have different #s

Comment

The plate is on the neck, it looks to be a sticker that has the VIN stamped on (or thru it) Im guessing there was also some numbers in ink on it at one point........yes, the engine number is different from the VIN number..

Comment

Backing up SqDancer, My 79 VIN is stamped into the steering head on the right (throttle) side and also into a factory sticker applied to the left side of the steering head.That VIN has been partially rubbed out by chafing of the wiring harness over the years, but the stamped one on the left is clearly visible. The engine # is stamped into a pad adjacent to the oil filler cap and contains one less digit. My 850 VIN is marked "GS850-106483" and the engine # is "GS850-10632". I would think(IMHO) a 79 1000 would be ID'd the same - why would Suzuki do it differently? If you can't find the frame # in that location you might reasonably suspect it's been removed for what-ever reason. I have no idea whether or not your local DMV could relate engine #'s to the original chassis # but maybe Suzuki can.
                        Have fun with it!!

Comment

Working...
                        X