Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best (cheapest ;-) ) place to buy carb kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best (cheapest ;-) ) place to buy carb kits?

I have taken my carbs out and are sitting on my workbench waiting for me to rebuild them. Where should I order the rebuild kits? Looks like $25 on ebay and ~$16 on oldbikebarn. Will I just need to purchase a kit for each carb? Or should I expect to be ordering more parts once I break them open?

i made sure i found carb kits that contained what i needed when i rebuilt a set. what i needed in particular was the needle screw adjuster on the VM carbs, and some kits did not have it. i found a picture of the Keyster carb kit (i believe it is Keyster) and they had the parts i needed.

i paid about $20 for each one...which was fair enough i think. I only needed 2-3 kits to fix what I was doing.

~Adam

Comment

i see. but tearing down and cleaning the carbs will require gaskets to put it all back together, which means i will need a kit for all 4 carbs, right?

Comment

There's a posting about oldbikebarn on the Deadbeat Alert forum. You might want to read it before buying from them.

siriusconinc.com sells Keyster carb repair kits on their website and on ebay. They're a bit cheaper if you buy directly off their website. For my bike their kits are $17.50 USD per carb.

Debby
        1979 GS1000N
        2019 Kaw Z900RS
        plus a few more

Comment

For what it's worth, my impression is that quite a few of us were able to very effectively rebuild our carbs without a full gasket set. All of my gaskets came off cleanly and resealed flawlessly. A set of o-rings from Robert Barr (hope I got the name right) would probably be all you need, and only a fraction of the price.

Comment

wow, cool! that's great news... thinking about spending $60-$100 just to clean the carbs sounded a little outrageous to my college-budget mind ;-).
            now, if anyone has the contact info for "Robert Barr" I would be forever grateful!

Comment

Stay away from oldbikebarn.

Earl
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

carbs

I did my carbs with robert barrs orings and a plain gasket carb kit total cost $40 with shipping, roberts oring kit is an AAAA++++ and at $16 its a deal

Comment

here's the link if you haven't found it

robert@cycleorings.com
                  The keyster carb kits are the ones to buy---- MAKE SURE to compare to the old parts

Comment

there's only one gasket on the carbs, techincally...which is the bowl gasket. i've reused mine quite a few times now...with no problems. just becareful seperating the bowl from the carb body.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                    X