Tire size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire size

The tires on my '83 GS750E are currently a 120/80-16 up front, and a 130/90-17 in the back. I am wondering if these tires are too big for good cornering stability. I dont want the tires to be as small as the originals, but I dont want them too big either. Any suggestions?? I am wanting to know because I dont know if another size would be better, or if I should just put new ones on the same size as I have right now. Any help is appriciated.

Also, I have heard there is a way to "align" the wheels on these bikes to eliminate head shake. how do I do that??

:twisted: Matt

The front tyre is way over sized, I would suggest a 110/90-16 for the front & 140/90-17 for the rear.
    the current combo would have the bike steering funny, sort of "understeering" due to tyre sizes being t close to each other in size, the change t the sizes I suggest would sharpen it up considerably.
    Dink

Comment

thanks for your help on the front size, but I dont know if a 140 would fit on the back because the 130 gets really close to the swing arm. I might have the back tire a little crooked though, I am not sure. Its only a 3' wide rim too. I dont know anything about motorcycle tires though. :twisted:

Comment

A 130 is all you want for the rear on that bike. Anymore will be too much for the rim. If you get a wider rim you can run a lower profile fatter tire, and still have clearance.

Comment

Stock rear rim for the 1983 GS750E was 2.5". A 130 is max without fabricating a rear caliper arm, if you do this and go with a 3.5" GS1150E rear rim you can run a 140- it will clear the swingarm. I will include a photo showing both the 1150E rim, 140 rear and modified brake arm on my bike. I have run a 120/80 front on the stock 2.15" front rim for 20 years- it works fine. As for cornering, I can tell you that the sidestand mount will drag first on the left, the right side is OK till you run out of rubber. I have always liked the Metzeler CompK ME-33 front. It only comes in 120/80 and is still made for the 1980's 16" front wheel bikes like the GS750 and 1150 and VF Honda's and will work with any bias rear. Good Luck, Ed.

Comment

Stock for my 81 GS750 is 100/90/19 (iirc). I have a 110/90 19 right now, and fits ok. Looks good too.

Comment

Working...
            X