Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm about to set this thing on fire and push it off a cliff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm about to set this thing on fire and push it off a cliff.

:x :x

Ok, having read a 100 different articles on carbs and how they work, how to rebuild them, everything but synching them, I have gone into them again and cleaned them out and made sure everything was still nice and moving around. The #2 float was a little stuck and occasionally needed a slight tap on the side of the bowl and it would stop flowing gas like water through the nile.

Took the bike out, enjoyed it, stopped at a stoplight and every 9 seconds (you could set your watch to it) the hose for the #2 carb will just squirt about 2 tablespoons of gas onto the ground. I moved the hoses so it wouldn't be DIRECTLY on the back tire any more, but it's still a humongous problem. I am at a loss.

When I take the tank off, not a drop comes out once I have the hoses off (in the 'on' position), so I don't think it's the petcock on the gas tank. When the bike is not running, for about 2 or 3 minutes, it will squirt gas every 9 seconds and then just stop doing it (technically its 'drip drip drip, *squirt* *squirt* drip drip drip' ).

I am probably going tomorrow to get another tank from the motorcycle boneyard (the seams around the bottom of the tank are a little moist with gas and I'm tired of fixing small holes - unless someone has an immediate solution), is there anything else I should look into?

Help me obi-wan! Oh, and Earl, it's hard to find Metzeler 33's or 55's around here, everyone has to order them. Sheesh.

Chris

Petcock anyways.....

Comment

If they have one that is decent, I'll pick it up. For some reason unbeknownst to me, my local Suzuki dealer is closed Sun/Mon so I can't order parts.

Comment

I order all my Metzeler's from ronayers.

Good prices and prompt delivery.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

WOW, much better prices.

Had one dealer quote me 140 for the back tire, and like 110 for the front.

Comment

Re: I'm about to set this thing on fire and push it off a cl

If youre sitting at a trafffic light and gas is coming out the overflow tube on the #2 carb, the only way that can happen is if the float level is incorrect and the fuel level in the carb is too high. Sometimes, a float will stick for a moment, but I have never known one to stick and then work in a 9 second cycle. :-)

You can fix pinholes in a gas tank with Marine Tex. It is made for that application. The surface to be filled will need to be clean and dry, particularly oil free.

Earl

Chris[/quote]

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Yeah, you only want to order tires from the local dealer if you need to satisfy a compulsion to contribute excess money to someone and if that be the case,.........OH YOO HOO ... over here, yeah...... My dog needs new Calvin Klein's. :-) :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Psychoholic
              WOW, much better prices.

Had one dealer quote me 140 for the back tire, and like 110 for the front.

Comment

Chris,

I had the same problem with my 750 a while ago - dumping gas at regular intervals at the stop light. I had a stuck float. Turns out, the very edge of the float was grazing the side of the bowl housing where the screws come in. There was a rough area on the float (looked like a parting line on the float casting) that I scraped off with an exacto knife. This may be breaking a cardinal rule and I may catch hell for it, but mine has been running fine ever since. If you can't get it to move freely at all times, the float sticks, to bowl fills up and then purges itself. This will happen when the petcock is at the "on" position.

Hope this helps.

-jon
                16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Earl, it's not a need to overspend money, but I do have this problem of compulsive spending and immediate gratification. I just ordered them from RonAyers, (the 33's and 55's in 100/90/19 and 130/80/18 respectively). My wife and I are heading to Daytona on the bike at the end of next week, so I HOPE they are as prompt as they say they are.

Jon, I'll give it a shot. I'm becoming and expert on yanking those carbs out and putting them back in. Maybe not the best solution, but do you think that I should maybe 'squeeze' the floats a slight bit to insure proper movement? When they are off the bike they flop around with no resistance at all, like the other 3 do, but when I put the bowl back on, they seem to be fine for a day or so, then it happens again. I will definitely check out your suggestion and get back to everyone.

Thanks guys!

Comment

I get tires from them on my doorstep in three days, and I'm on the otherside of the last Stargate. :-)

Earl

[quote="Psychoholic"]Earl, it's not a need to overspend money, but I do have this problem of compulsive spending and immediate gratification. I just ordered them from RonAyers, (the 33's and 55's in 100/90/19 and 130/80/18 respectively). My wife and I are heading to Daytona on the bike at the end of next week, so I HOPE they are as prompt as they say they are.

Comment

Ya know Earl, I'll be in Daytona and Jacksonville from the 29th to the 1st for this big hearse/ambulance show down there (I would drive my hearse down but at 6-8 mpg, it's just not practical). So we'll be on the bike, might need to ride up and have lunch with us =)

Comment

Originally posted by Psychoholic
                        when I put the bowl back on, they seem to be fine for a day or so, then it happens again.
                        Thanks guys!
                        Maybe there is a pinhole leak in that float somewhere?
                        Take it out and sit it in a cup of gas and see if it really floats or if it sinks.

Just a suggestion.
                        Dm of mD

Comment

fuel leak

What bike is it?
                          Are you sure the fuel is running out of the hoses and not out of the airbox? What cars are they, can't be mikuni bs34ss I assume?

Comment

yeah, I have the hoses pulled off to the side next to the brake pedal and the foot peg so I could see if they were leaking.

I'm not sure if the problem is solved or not, I did 75 miles today and no gas leaked (I was running late today so I just tapped on the side of the #2 bowl and it hasn't dropped a drop all day).

Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Ya know, I can't wait till I have aquired enough knowledge so I can start helping others and give back to the community that has been so helpful to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X