Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 650l

guy/girls

can anyone give me the pros/cons of the 82 gs650L?

I would like to find some info b4 I pick one up.

what should a new buyer look for in a used bike? or is there a thread that I can be pointed to.

thanks
    -Jim

recommendation

well, (I know this sounds crap) but you could consider another bike. Are you sure you really really wanna gs650L? I have the 650 katana version and I have to say its pretty naff, with a stupid 19" front wheel and 17" back this thing sure don't handle well and has all those endless suzuki problems everyone here seems to love so much (?) I'd say its very good as a winter hack but it ain't much of a performer ...........its a bit like 'driving a van' compared to many other machines.
    I'm not trying to put you off ..just being honest. All the electrics die either because its a suzuki or (more likely) because its really old (like this '82 bike is 22 year old). Like I say they are great winter hacks.

Comment

I started out my MC on an 82(?) 650, and it had MORE then enough punch, especially for an inexperienced rider. And most GS's, with a little bit of love, are reliable, dependable, and long lasting. They have some problems, but what machine doesn't have a "weak spot"?

I really liked my 650, and am currently wrenching an old 750 back to life. For a beginning rider, or even experienced, this is a solid start. The 650 can get up and move, and is fairly easy to work on. (Especially with the great gsresource folks to help prod you in the right direction).

Comment

yeah

thats the weird thing.....desite all the grief I have had with it theres something about it I kinda like..which is why I still have it. Praps its cos they do seem to last a bit like tanks. My 650 is pretty heavy duty considering...I just wouldn't really really want one unless it was going cheap. I can certainly see something in the 1100 katanas they still look strange, and I have even thought how good the 750 (pop up headlight) looks. Even today that one looks a bit futuristic. The problem with these gs's though is that several design flaws get you reaching for the hammer when you really had enough (I have spent quite alot of time working on mine, mainly engine work) and the thought pops in your head...'hey maybe if I just smash it all up with this hammer, I'll be forced to get another bike and won't have to go through all this hell anymore???...
        I have to say though, many of the people on this web site are incredibly helpful and some really know their stuff which is very nice when you have problems.

Comment

thanks

the only reason why this bike is in my sights is because the current owner has a newer one and wants to trade for my three wheeler. and this is my first streetbike. I own quads and dirtbikes so I have the basic understanding of how to ride, but not on the street. so I need a starter bike and unless if someone wants to trade a tri-z for a streetbike my options are limited.

what would the value of a gs650l be?

thanks for the help

-Jim

Comment

Value really depends on shape...

Barely/not running, needs carb rebuild, msc parts (Damn those electrics), few hundred.

makes your eyelids flap in the wind when whacking the throttle in 5th gear at any speed.....Priceless

Comment

Working...
            X