One for earl or Lynn or anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for earl or Lynn or anyone

Ok so my elecs. went by-by so Iam checking out the stator and such and when looking at the wiring diagram I see they are looping one of the startor wires thru the handle bar switch and back to the rectifier WHY would they do this, the current is of no use unconverted or regulated??would it be better to hook it in to the rec. directly???or GS1000l but the elecs. are ec

Edit: Corrected two posts down.

Michael

this post used to say...
    I am not sure about your model but on some models that went straight to the headlight, which doesn't really care if the voltage is regulated or rectified, so long as the filament gets hot.

So I'm told.

Michael

Comment

headlight

I dont think you can put that kind of volts to a 12v bulb my tests at 65volts, it doesnt care about ac-dc but more than what the bulb is rated at will smoke it.

Comment

What I said earlier was repeating what I'd heard from others.

Looking at this diagram here: http://www.smokeriders.com/diagrams/...79_GS850GN.gif it appears that I was only partly correct. The stator wire to the headlight are does not go straight to the filament. It instead goes to the headlight on/off switch and back to the RR. Thus, the third phase of the stator is only used when the headlight is on.

The reason for this is that our RR units keep the voltage at spec by wasting all excess electricity straight to ground. It is called a ground shunt voltage regulator. When all three stator phases are being rectified, there is a lot of electrical capacity available. But when the headlight is off there is much less used, and the regulator must make up the difference. Basically, the 60W headlight goes off and the regulator would have to waste that energy by becoming a 60W heater. That can make the RR very hot and cause it to burn out faster. So they disconnected one of the stator phases to reduce the shunt when the headlight is off.

Michael

Comment

I theory maybe ?? To be practical MOST of us 99.9% ride with our lights on By bypassing the loop it eliminates the extra wiring,the switch and the extra resistance of them. It actually helps the stator by allowing the third leg to run cooler in theory

Comment

I think the best choice is to hook the three stator phases to the R/R and always run with the headlight on.

Earl
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks guys

Ah then that explains it thanks guys

Comment

Working...
              X