exhaust leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust leak

I have a 4 into 1 exhaust with a join in the pipe just before the support bracket at the foot peg. It is leaking at this joint, it is a friction fit (no clamps or anything like that) and I'm not sure how to stop the leak. I have tried to adjust the mounting bracket at the rear foot peg to get a tighter fit but no effect. If anyone has any cleaver suggestions I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks
    R. Jackson
    1980 GS750E

I had a similar issue with mine. I've got a Supertrapp 4-1 on an 84 GS 750 EF and after running it into the high RPMs on a regular basis, the nut vibrated off my clamp at that point. Woth no clamp, the baffles vibrated themselves right out of the can and it sure gets LOUD then!
    Turns out the bolt was pretty stripped.

Went down to the shop and got a 2" piece of stainless muffler clamp, 2.5" diameter. The only problem is that it overlapped the smaller of the 2 pipes by about an inch, so the guy suggested some RD Silicone for High temperature applications. Put the clamp over, and before tightening it, get some of the RD in there, all around. Once you tighten the clamp down, some might squeeze out, so clean it up with whatever it says.

Oh, by the way, do this with a cold pipe, the pipes will contract as they get cold, then your leak comes back

Comment

[quote="FreshMeat"]I had a similar issue with mine. I've got a Supertrapp 4-1 on an 84 GS 750 EF and after running it into the high RPMs on a regular basis, the nut vibrated off my clamp at that point. quote]

I have no clamp As I said it is just a friction fit, back pipe inserted into front. Do you think the silicone on its own will work? The other problem is I have to remove the pipe to get at the oil filter, so I would have to seal it each time, no big deal really.

Ron

Comment

I'm wondering why you have to remove the pipe to get at the filter. Is the routing of the 4-1 pipe quite a lot different than the stock pipes that it makes it so you can't get at it?

If you're getting a bad exhaust leak there, you may want to think about getting a clamp anyways, mine was $12 Canadian and takes a minute or two to get off, if I slice the silicone and scrape it off later.

As you can see here, my right-side exhaust mounts are still on the bike, and that's where the can attaches, just below and to the rear of the rear footpeg. I had to place a few shims in there to get it to sit far enough out otherwise it rubs against the old exhaust mounts, which I needed to leave on because they have rubber pieces on the bottom for the center stand.

Comment

Working...
        X