turbo charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo charger

i'm thinking about installing a turbocharger on my gs750es(crazy...i know)
    and i'm wondering if anyone out there has performed such a crazy feat before, and if so, what was involved???
    8O

Honestly don`t do it. I used them for years drag racing and on the street. The older systems are just not that good. The newer fuel injected systems work great. If its a daily driver a turbo generates enormous anounts of heat and requires many engine mods to survive. Just get a larger cc bike.

Comment

Though it's a newer bike, there's a guy with a GS500e with a turbo on it. he's putting out 120ish horsepower IIRC.

It can be done. Most of the turbo bikes were midsize bikes trying to make liter power on a smaller engine.

There's a book. "motorcycle turbocharging, supercharging and nitrous" I think it's by hugh mcines. It'll tell you what you need to know.
      the link to the book at amazon.. only $14

If I did it... I'd build an airbox around the carbs (and thereby pressurizing the carbs the "easy" way instead of doing it by plugging all the vent lines, and throttle shafts) and do blow through carburation. You'll need an electric fuel pump, and a fuel pressure regulator. But you can get some really smooth, and really good carburation that way. And do it relitively cheaply. that will also let you do intercooling.

If you do it. Make sure you fit an oil cooler. number one, the turbocharger will cook your oil. Number two, oil is the only "active" way you can cool your bike without building a shroud and putting a big icky electric fan on the front of the bike ;-) There are thermostats available for oil coolers so you could actually get effective engine temprature regulation.

On another note EFI makes turbocharging brain dead simple.
      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

You may want to consider Nitrous too, it can be more reliable, since you only use it when you need it, and it actually cools the intake charge. It's cheaper to get setup for, and easy to install. You can also hide all the peices to form a great 'sleeper' bike.

Comment

A dandy idea. Hmm...how about another usefull link :-)

Home made nitrous kits.

If you want cheap nitrous bottles, co2 bottles are ideal. If you want exotic ones :-) I can point you in some interesting directions.
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

actually our bikes are decent canidates for a turbo because they have such a low compression ratio to start off with. we turbo'd a 2001 GSXR600 engine last year, and with 12.1:1 compression to start off with, add 10 pounds of boost, and you're looking at 15:1 compression ratios. 8O

the hardest part with these bikes is the air cooling...that turbo is gonna make lots of intake heat...

~Adam

Comment

Turbos are great, but a decent modern turbo kit is going to set you back well over $3000. If you want more power, buy an 1100. If you still need more then look at trubo kits and/or big blocks. I wouldnt throw the money at a 750.

$0.02

Comment

or just by a GSXR 1100 motor and shoehorn it into the 750 frame. More power then your frame knows what to do with.

Comment

Working...
                X