Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A fixed charging system without the $250 electrix parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by condensr
    Although, how would a switching power supply work without toasting the stator? Since our stators use a permanent magnet, they always generate the same amount of wattage for a given RPM, right?
    Wattage is based on the load, not the generator. If you open the output of the stator, there's no load and no wattage. Shouldn't be a problem. (That's basically what the headlight trick does - opens one phase of the stator.)

The one thing that opening the output will do is cause a very high voltage at the stator output. The rectifiers have to be rated to take the high voltage AND source the entire current used by the bike. (Anybody know what that is?) Also, the regulator circuit itself must be able to handle the high voltage coming off the stator.

Switching supplies are very efficient. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if a stator lived longer with a switcher since it doesn't need to generate as much current when the electrical system is lightly loaded.

Dave

Comment

The voltage spikes are/can/will be filtered by a moderately sized capacitor...
      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

*ahem* bump

This one peeks my interest.

Comment

Working...
        X