Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 GS1100 - Electrical Box mounted Near Battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS1100 - Electrical Box mounted Near Battery?

I have a 1981 GS1100 and today a wire shorted and melted the wire about 16 inches and it burned a diode out of an electrical box mounted near the battery. What is the box called? What is the part number? Where can I order one online and how much is the normal price used?

If you can answer one or more of these questions I would be grateful.

Steve
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

some more clues would help, there are several electrical boxes in close proximity to the battery.
    regulator rectifier (aluminum with fins on it)
    turnsignal self cancel box
    turnsignal relay (flasher)
    ignitor box

a picture would be very helpfull
    or a description og how many wires it has as well as where it is in relation to the battery. (IE= on left side as you sit on bike with X number of wires coming from it)

Comment

I don't have access to the part at this moment, but out of the ones you listed I know its not the regulator rectifier or turnsignal relay. I am pretty sure this bike isn't equipped with a signal self cancel box so I would guess its probably the ignitor box, but I am unsure.

If you pull off the right hand sidecover (sitting on the bike) mounted onto the battery compartment by two philips screws is a black metal box, 4 or 5 wires coming from the top. There is some numbers and letters on the box but most of it was worn off to a point where it's unreadable. I could see and make out 12V.
      sigpic
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I did some reading, searching and more reading (yes, Google is my friend) and I found out the part is indeed the "Ignitor Unit". I found an image that looks just like it with a visible part number of "32900 45110".

Does anyone have a way of validating that the 1981 GS1100E Ignitor Unit part number is or isn't "32900 45110".

Does anyone have a used Ignitor? Are they hard to come by? How much will one cost new/used?

Thanx again..
        sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride

Comment

You can find part numbers at BikeBandit http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/Default.asp

They have exploded parts diagrams for just about every part on your bike.

My recommendation since new ignitors are expensive (around $250 at the cheapest I've found) and the originals are notoriously fragile, replace it with a Dyna III from http://www.dynaonline.com/english/sportbike_dyna3.htm. They are currently on sale for $99.

Happy motoring!
          TopCat

Comment

bikebandit at

Lists the ignitor for $370. Unfortunately, they have gone to displaying everything using their own part numbers, so I cant verify that 32900-45110 is the suzuki number for it.

If the ignitor box is faulty, it would be less money to replace the ingition system with a Dyna ignition instead of a stock ignitor box.

Earl

Originally posted by Steve
            I did some reading, searching and more reading (yes, Google is my friend) and I found out the part is indeed the "Ignitor Unit". I found an image that looks just like it with a visible part number of "32900 45110".

Does anyone have a way of validating that the 1981 GS1100E Ignitor Unit part number is or isn't "32900 45110".

Does anyone have a used Ignitor? Are they hard to come by? How much will one cost new/used?

Thanx again..
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
            X