80 GS550L lights and bulbs in Instrument Cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS550L lights and bulbs in Instrument Cluster

I read some thread in here that this could happen (rare); it looks like it happened to me.

Strangest thing; it looks like no one EVER replaced the main fuse in the bike's 24 year history. The fuse came apart and shorted to ground, just as I was pulling up the driveway, causing all of my turn signal bulbs to blow! I replaced all four and now they are working again.

Now, I have some bulbs to change inside the instrument cluster, specifically, the gear indicator for 1st and 3rd, the turn signal indicator bulb in the cluster and the high bean indicator in the cluster.

Are all of these bulbs the same size? What is their size? I tried looking in the Clymer manual and they only list wattages. I would like to find the right size bulb before taking the cluster apart to change the blown ones.

If this has happened to you before or you have changed the bulbs inside the instrument cluster, please let me know what size the bulbs are. I know the turn signals were 1073 (I used 1156's) and the tail light/stop lamp bulb was a 2057...

Thanks and thanks for having this forum!

dubble6s
    1980 GS550L 7,401 original miles (and climbing!)

on my 850 I could not find bulbs to fit at the auto supply Glass part is too big Went to dealer to get them Parts guy came out with some with a honda pn

Comment

I have my cluster off my bike and I am pretty sure the gear indicator bulbs and the other warning lights are pretty different. The ones for the turn, oil, etc are larger.

You can order them from bike bandit (Gear ind pt #17 and I think #21 for others) or possibly from a local dealer.

Comment

hey there, i just replaced all my bulbs in my cluster, my 79gs1000, it doesn't have a gear indicator but all the other bulbs were the same. i used bulb number 1445. i got these at a autozone car parts place, they got them right there in the replacement bulb area.

on a side note when removing the the rubber boots holding the bulbs to the instument cluster, spray them good with some silicone lub to help them slide out.

-ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

1445 sounds right...I will go to auto zone and pick some up...

thanks and happy riding everyone!

dubble6s
          1980 GS550L 7,455 original miles (and climbing!)

Comment

Working...
          X