Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if i just wanted to sit in the driveway i'd be fine....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if i just wanted to sit in the driveway i'd be fine....

hey all,

just after hurricane isabel last fall i got an '82 gs300l. it had sat for about a year, then it sat in my garage while i waited for winter to pass. got it running this spring and it ran great. carbs were cleaned, new plugs, new battery, new oil, new gas.

but recently i'd be riding down the road and would loose power. i'll be riding along and it is like half the bike will all of a sudden turn off, then turn on again, then turn off...do this a few times and then just turn off altogether. i though it was junk in the tank or in the carbs or maybe the plugs got fouled. so i put some carb cleaner additive in the gas and new plugs in the engine (the old ones had some carbon build-up, but they were pretty even and didn't look especially bad). but this was to no avail.

i have been able to get it to idle fine, which is great if i just wanted to sit in the driveway with the engine running. i can rev the engine to as high as it'll go and have no problems. it'll idle for as long as i let it. but once i take it out it starts jerking around and will eventually die.

i know that it is the left side of the engine which is shutting off. before i got it to idle i felt in back of the exhaust. the right side was hot, the left was cool and was getting no spark. the plug cable jiggles on the plug itself. it has contact on the plug - i can hear it click into place when i put it on - it just isn't as tight on the plug as the right side. perhaps it is a bad coil?

as you can tell, i am not the most mechanically minded or versed person in the world but i would appreciate any help. thanks much!

The first thing you must do is determine if it is a fuel problem or an ignition problem. I would take the bike for a ride around the block for as long as it took to make the problem occur. When the bike died, I would shut the petcock off, turn the ignition off and coast to a stop. Get out your wrench for the floatbowl drain screw and remove the drain plug. If the bowl is full of gas, then it isnt a fuel problem, and is probably ignition. if there is no fuel, you have found the cause.

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
      The first thing you must do is determine if it is a fuel problem or an ignition problem. I would take the bike for a ride around the block for as long as it took to make the problem occur. When the bike died, I would shut the petcock off, turn the ignition off and coast to a stop. Get out your wrench for the floatbowl drain screw and remove the drain plug. If the bowl is full of gas, then it isnt a fuel problem, and is probably ignition. if there is no fuel, you have found the cause.

Earl
      And be sure that gas does not meet hot exhaust pipes!

Nearly burned down a gas station that way...

Michael

Comment

Sounds like a coil dying or you ran outta gas.

Dm of mD

Comment

thanks so much

wow, thanks for the advice guys. i'm on a film shoot for the next couple of weeks so when i get the chance and if i have the gumption i'll try out the tips!

thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X