New owner w/a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New owner w/a question

Not only am I a new owner, this is also my first post here. Glad I found the place, I'll definitely poke around here!

My question is this: What is the easiest way to tell what year my GS750 is? I bought it this last saturday, and she runs strong and all that, but the guy who sold it to me said it was a 1979. However, it has a single disk up front, not the duals...which, from my limited research, tells me it's a 1977. Are there any other clues/pointers/tips/tricks/signs etc...that will tell me more definitely what year it is?

TIA.

Welcome.

To easily discern what year your bike is, assuming it's not a hodgepodge mutt, is to look at the VIN plate. It should be on the steering stem and contain a month built date. 7/78 through 6/79 will be model year 1979.

More info on models and years at http://www.suzukicycles.org/

Welcome aboard!

Michael

Comment

Yep, the steering stem is the right place to look. Check the last letter of the model. For example, I have a GS1100GLZ. The 'Z' means that it's an 1982 model. Here are the years and letter codes:

76A 77B 78C 79N 80T 81X 82Z 83D 84E 85F

I copied these from a page on this site that explains it all:

Comment

Ah, I see...however, about a third of my VIN plate is missing...kinda peeled/flaked off. The missing bits are up top, towards the handlebars...

Where, specifically on the VIN plate might such a date stamp be found?

Cuz' if it's towards the top, it does me no good...

The Tlot Plickens!

Comment

Yes, as I recall the date stamp is on the right as you read it, which probably means the top.

This here http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS750.shtml indicates that you have one of the very earliest GSes! First six months of production! See if the photos match.

Michael

Comment

I have a 79 GS 750E with a single front disk brake. :-)

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor

Earl
              Is it a mutt? The suzukicycles.org photos show only double discs after 76.

Michael

Comment

What is the number stamped on the engine block right near the oil fill cap?

As long as the engine is original, we should be able to get some info from there. I can compare it to the one stamped on my block (original) and maybe Earl can give us his number too. The numbers should be sequential for when the engine was manufactured. I believe mine is in the 40000 region, but I'd have to look at it to be sure.

Earl is right though, there are some 79 models that have the single disk and spoke rims. If anyone out there thinks I'm smokin crack on this one, let me know...

-jon
                16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

It is bone stock, and original. They were made that way. The bike has only been owned by the original owner and me.

Earl

Originally posted by mopolopo
                  Originally posted by earlfor

Earl
                  Is it a mutt? The suzukicycles.org photos show only double discs after 76.

Michael
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The VIN number is also stamped into the steering head.
                    The 77/78 model VIN numbers start with "GS750";
                    the numbers of 79/80 models start with "GS750E".

Here's a link to the chart: http://home.wanadoo.nl/kastanje/www/Suzukimodels.pdf

Comment

Come to think of it, Harry is right. The VIN is stamped on the opposite side of where the decal is at. If you still can't find it, then it's back to the engine...

-jon

History book:
                      12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                      82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

I got a (parts) 79 GS 750 for 25 bucks. It's actually in decent shape, and I gave to the neighbor as a project (infected him with GS Fever). It has spokes and a single disk up front.

Comment

Hmmm....VIN is legible and is GS750 46128

the engine code is GS750 81087

Single disc up front, wire spoke wheels, and I have to pull the clutch in to use the electric start...which, according to the Clymer manual I got is a 1979 and later feature...

Might be a mutt, I guess.

I dunno though, I'm too new at this,

Comment

I don't think it's a mutt. I think it's a 1979. My 78 has no clutch switch and the wiring harness would have to change to accomodate that switch unless the factory just added a spare wire (unlikely).

Also, my VIN is GS750-161?? and my engine stamp is GS750-552?? (didn't write them down when I looked). Both mine are original, so the numbers don't have to match. The numerical gap is similarily large.

If I had a lot of money to bet, I would put it all on the fact that it is a 1979 indeed. If you REALLY have to be sure, write down your VIN and take it to the Suzuki dealer and they should have a book that crosses VINs with models.

Also, on some of the 79s there are chrome endcaps on the air box and the starter cover was also chrome. That is another good indicator. Previous airbox end caps were black like the airbox itself and the starter cover was just galvanized.

-Jon

History book:
                            12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                            82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

I had a look at suzukimotorcycles.org and it is a very nice site. I especially like all the ads and brochures that are posted. However, after reading all the info on the 70's GS750s, there were some small errors or things that were left out here and there. Otherwise, I think it is pretty sweet that someone dedicated so much time and effort on the historical documentation of our line of KILLER bikes.

-Jon

History book:
                              12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                              82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
                              X