Pulling tranny question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling tranny question

I?m about to try something I?ve never tried before and I would like to see if someone else has either done it or can think of any reason it shouldn?t be done.

I recently rebuilt the 1100. As I was working on the tranny, I found two gears that were beginning to pit badly (they intermesh with each other). I pulled the tranny from the cases I got from Mark (Shaftzuki?.many thanks, Mark!) which has back cut dogs. Instead of changing the gears alone, I replaced the whole tranny. Well, it is one of the best shifting transmissions I?ve ever used going up through the gears BUT?.when I?m going down I find it hard to down shift and often find a false neutral between third and forth and sometimes between second and third. This is not a problem at the drag strip but I find day-to-day riding to be a chore.

What I want to do is pull the engine, pull the clutch basket, pull the oil galley blocks, pull the starter motor, remove all the small bolts from the top case half, flip it over, pull the oil pan, oil pickup, and all the large bolts. Then I should be able to split the cases and get to the transmission.

By doing it this way, I can avoid disassembly/assembly of the top end and the trouble of getting the rings back in the cylinders.

Any comments, suggestions, or ideas?

Hap

Exactly the way to do it Hap, May I suggest you replace the bearing that support the gearshafts as this has made a HUGE difference to the gearbox in the Katana, and is now planned for the Tractor as well.
    The gearbox was notchy and sometimes difficult to shift similar tot what you describe, the gearbox bearings "felt" ok but replacement has made a huge difference.
    Dink

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation Dink...I will change that bearing also.

Hap

Comment

Hap you can get better than stock bearings at a bearing house. It will have one extra ball in them compared to the stockers. The way you describe is exactly how it should be done. I don`t know if you`ve ever noticed but you can cut out the case windows under the tranny so you could change shift forks with only removing the oil pan. It also helps to drill and tap the shift fork shafts to help pull them out and you can drill and tap the boss on the cases for side removal. Just a thought if you`re running a air shifter and may sometime bend a fork. I ran three speed Orient express trannies....you get LOTS of tranny practice ...they were 3500 dollar pieces of junk.

Comment

I apologise Hap I made a typo in my first post, it is all four bearings that support the gear shafts, Gszone.biz sells ceramic ones if you wanna go trick for them.
          Dink

Comment

Dink My brothers bike is making a noise when the engine is running coming from the counter shaft area. Is this the noise we should be hearing if one or more of the transmission bearings are bad?

Comment

Yes very likely, try loosening the chain adjusters off and see if you can detect any movement up down or side to side in the output shaft.
              Dink

Comment

Originally posted by cbxchris
                Hap you can get better than stock bearings at a bearing house. It will have one extra ball in them compared to the stockers...
                Chris,

Do you have the bearing numbers for these bearings? Do they have the groove for the aligning c-rings?

Thanks,
                Hap

Comment

Hap I would be quite surprised if they did have the C-clip groove, so get some loctite bearing mount compound instead.
                  Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
                    Hap I would be quite surprised if they did have the C-clip groove, so get some loctite bearing mount compound instead.
                    Dink
                    I'm kind of concerned about that. If I had straight-cut primary gears I would do it but since I still have angle cut gears I'm afraid it will put a axial load on the input shaft, thus possibly shoving the input shaft (and inturn, the output shaft) out of alignment or worse...I may be worried about a non-issue here. Dink, have you ever done it with the angle cut gears?

Hap

Comment

No Hap I have re-installed genuine Suzuki bearings, and will change them everytime I seperate the cases. It may be worth asking at a couple bearing supply houses if they can get them with the groove in them , it is not impossible that they can, just take the set of bearings of your other gear cluster with you.
                      Dink

Comment

Hap I sent you a pm. Many places like APE,R&D or Orient Express will have the heavy duty bearing with a clip groove. Easy way will be the notch in the race...count them there will be one more extra ball than a stock bearing. ALL drag racers used to use them years ago I must assume they still do. I kinda lost touch last several years I raced due to us running roller bearings with 3 speeds.

Comment

Working...
                        X