bunch of question about gas tank???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bunch of question about gas tank???

I have just started work on an 82 gs750t and first was the gas tank which is bad. My buddy picked up what he thought was a tank for my bike last week at a swap meet but it is more square in the front and does not fit my bike. Beauty though dark purple with ghost flames (so anyone interested I will probably have on ebay soon. My series of questions though, I think my petcock is shot when it is on gas just pours out of it I don't think that should happen??? When I took the old tank off I noticed that there was a tube coming from the fuel sending device(I think that is what it's called) and it was headed back to the air box area but stop short of the nipple on the airbox by about an inch should this be hooked to the air box or just hanging free??? Also the petcock from the other tank looks like it will fit the old tank but the old tank only has one tube coming out of the petcock for gas the other tank has one with two tubes one obviously to disperse gas but not sure of the other<< what is it for and can I change them???? Sorry my clymers should arrive today, ahh seriously even after it comes I am still going to ask you guys a ton of questions thanks for any help you can provide>> My searches on here have already been more valuable than a mechanic>

The hose from the fuel sending device should dangle freely somewhere between the swingarm and rear main-frame with the other hoses.
    The wires from the fuel sending device should plug into their color coordinated female ends on the wiring harness near the battery on the left hand side of the frame (facing forward on the bike).

I would have to see a picture of both petcocks to tell you if the "Single hose" one can be swapped. If it has "Pingle" written on it (the single hose one) then yeah, you want that petcock!! They rock!!

Dm of mD

Comment

Petcock is "Vacuum operated" meaning that in the "On" position, there is a vaccum applied to open the petcock. The petcock should have 2 nipples (Large, and small). Small one goes to the front left side of carb 2, this is the vacuum line. The larger one provides fuel to the carbs, connecting right between 2 and 3. Other hose may be a vent line from the fuel gauge (gold part on bottom of tank.

Comment

No believe me it doesn't have pingle on it. It appears pretty old. I seem to have gather from a search that the second hose is a vacuum hose that connects near the second carb. I am working now so I am not sure if I even have the nipple to connect a vacuum hose to on my carbs. But I have gathered that the bike I have has a manual petcock which would explain the free flowing gas in the on position> Now I haven't run(rode) the bike yet but I am guessing that there is fuel in the crankcase for sure and that will need to be dealt with. But good news is I may not have to replace every gasket as I had originally planned, I see now that the short time it ran, oil was coming out of a few places but that may have been due to the gas in the crankcase> I got this thing from a man who did not appear to know a heck of a lot about bike(not that I do but I am trying to learn). The bike was sitting with the petcock on on for who knows how long.

Comment

Is there something that hooks to that plastic nipple coming out the top front of the airbox???? It looks like a rubber hose was over it at some point.

Comment

on my airbox, there is a large hose going to the top of the engine? see another nipple? maybe seven inches fore of the one on the airbox?

Comment

That is the breather hose, hooks to the top of the vallve cover.

Comment

Working...
              X