81 750 RUNNING!!! But rich.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 750 RUNNING!!! But rich.

When I rebuilt the carbs, I was unable to get the air screws out. I soaked them anyway, and hoped for the best. The bike seems to be running, but after warming up, is a bit rough and smells rich. It will only idle at around 2K rpm, it dies on all other settings. I couldn't find a replacment for the air screws anywhere, and at least 2 are pretty stripped out. (would have to easy out them, and even then....)

I haven't synced the carbs (waiting for payday to order an hg guage). I have not done any adjustments to the carbs. The "Air Jet" (air box throat) was screwed all the way in, is this correct?

I have not done a plug read, as I can't seem to find my #&%^$ spark plug wrench, and can't remember the oddball size I got for it. Anyone know offhand what size for a spark plug wrench, and can the be obtained at most auto/hardware stores?

MORE TO COME (that is a promise)

I can help with the sparkplug socket size at least. try a 13/16". You should be able to get the outboard plugs with a regular wrench.

Comment

anyone know where I can get some air screws for this? They are still at stock setting, but I am sure the O-Rings are shot. I'll destroy these getting them out. I soaked it in penetrating oil, tried heat, etc.

Comment

You're probably going to have to get kits to get the parts you need, at least I had to.

Comment

My spark plug socket is 18mm.

Comment

Yes, the 'Air Jet' should be seated all the way in.

Scud

Comment

anyone know where to find the air mixture screws? I don't see them on the Bike Bandit diagram, or in any of the rebuild kits I have looked at. Any ideas?

Comment

K&L's rebuild kit should have them plus the o-rings the little washer that goes with them and all other parts. My 750 kits came complete with everything I needed.

Comment

Doesnt an '81 have CV carbs?? If it does, the best price I found was at the dealer for $10 apiece, but at least they came with the spings, washer and o-ring. K&L is the only ones that make them for the CV carbs I think. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                  X