Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical bug :-(

Hi!

My GS550 '82 is almost ready to ride - al least that's what I thought.....

As I turn the key the red "high beam" indicator lights. The only think that "works" are the turn indicators. The indicators do not flash but light constantly.

I have just replaced the r/r with a new one from electrex and a new battery that is fully charged.

Any good suggestions where to look?? :?

Thanks,

Michael

First, switch off you high beam.

As far as the flashers, Perhaps your flasher relay has died or your bulbs are on their way out. Are you using the stock turn signals?

Dm of mD

Comment

Hi!

The problem is also that I can't turn it off (or any lights on...). One of the turn signals is original, the other is not.

The only thing that I am able to turn on (partly) are the turn signals. All other parts, including the starter and horn, do not respond at all......

:?

Comment

Mystic

Hi!

Now my "little problem" has changed. Actually it was not the High Beam indicator that was lighting, but the oil indicator. I got the horn and the lights to work and the gear indicator. I messed a little around and now the following happens (or does not.......):

No lights in: the gear indicator, the oil indicator, tail light and no horn. But I still have lights in the headlamp, including high beam, the licence plate light and the speedo.

I noticed that the starter relay was all rusty. It sounded as if it was stuck as I pushed the starting button. So I cleaned it very well, and now it doesn't say I word .

I have checked all the fuses with a meter, and changed the r/r (electrex rr10) and the battery.

Hope anyone can help me so that I can get started enjoying the summer on my GS :-) 8)

Comment

You need to determine what are the root problems you're dealing with.

Check your battery voltage. Should be no less than 12V and no more than 14.8V if the engine is running.

Check the bulbs. Maybe even replace them for good measure.

Check your wiring. Make the bike so that the lights in question should be on. Take a multimeter and put it on the 20VDC or 50VDC rating. Check each light as follows: Put one probe on the battery and one on the positive contact in the socket. That's usually the nipple part. Then put one probe on the battery negative and the other on the ground side of the light, usually the metal body of the bulb. Both of these tests should result in readings of less than two volts (which might be pushing it). +/- does not matter. Any difference bigger than a couple volts indicates that the wiring is bad between the two points of measurement.

For the blinkers, some of this thread is relevant. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...highlight=reed

I noticed that the starter relay was all rusty. It sounded as if it was stuck as I pushed the starting button. So I cleaned it very well, and now it doesn't say I word .
          Sounds like it needs to be replaced. Here in the states a lawnmower shop will be the best source. Don't know about Denmark.

This rusty part is a strong clue that your other electrical problems are due to corroded connections. You might be wise to clean every last one of them and apply electric grease to protect them in the future.

Good luck.

Comment

Hi!

Thanks for your prompt reply :-)

I will check the wiring as you mentioned. Right now I have found out that it also blows the two upper fuses. I also found out that theese are connected to the lights, so I'm also cleaning the light contacts etc :roll:

Is the starter relay a "regular" thing used in lawnmowers also ??

Thanks

Michael

Comment

Working...
            X