1100 vs 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 vs 1150

I am thinking of finding an engine to build-up. I want bigger than stock displacement, and good quaility aftermarket parts. In the end I expect a very streetable, and very fast bike with great low end torque and at least a little better than stock high end.

My question...

Considering the long, long list of after market parts available for these engines, is there much of a difference starting out with an 1100 block over an 1150 block? Of course, I will use all of the bullet proof bits from the engine, but were there any significant built-in reliability improvements in the 1150?

Thanks,
    Billy Miles

Not really. The biggest difference is that the early 1100 crank (pre 1982)was not welded but that is an easy fix. Also the early 1100 crank had an oil passage that was considered a weak spot in that it could cause the fly wheel tp come off. This was corrected with the '81 year model.

There are other differences (oil cooler, piston pin diameter, etc.,) that were added or changed but you can easily add the oil cooler, and there is some discussion on if the larger piston pin size was a benefit or not (due to secondary vibration).

Hap

Comment

1150 has a better crank.
      1150 has a better flowing head.

Comment

Use a 1150 head. Thats the main difference. Usually the 1100 doesn`t vibrate as bad. If using a stock block I would again use a 1150.

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
          Not really. The biggest difference is that the early 1100 crank (pre 1982)was not welded but that is an easy fix. Also the early 1100 crank had an oil passage that was considered a weak spot in that it could cause the fly wheel tp come off. This was corrected with the '81 year model.

There are other differences (oil cooler, piston pin diameter, etc.,) that were added or changed but you can easily add the oil cooler, and there is some discussion on if the larger piston pin size was a benefit or not (due to secondary vibration).

Hap
          Does the 1982 1100 come with stock welded crank?

Comment

Originally posted by mopolopo
            Originally posted by Hap Call

Hap
            Does the 1982 1100 come with stock welded crank?
            If it is after engine number GS11X-115000 yes it does, but it is only welded around the primary drive gear, NOT fully welded like a lot of people think.
            Dink

Comment

Working...
            X