Gas leak again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas leak again

I have a 1983 GS 450 GA (yes an automatic) It has been running great. It developed a good leak from the air box. Only when the engine is off. AHHHA I said float sticks. I pulled the carbs. cleanned the nedale valve and tried to adjust the floats. Things were fine for about a week. Then I get another leak. This time from the right (I think that means #2) carb drain. Before I go back in. Is this flaot again? Also what is causing this repeat problem. Shloud I install an in line fuel filter? Oh, the Petcock is new OEM part.

If it does it while the engine is off, the petcock isn't shutting off like it should. That said, you also have a float that's sticking a bit open, allowing the leak, it doesn't need to leak much if the petcock is flowing, and the engine is off, and may not be a real problem if the petcock were working. Install a fuel filter, there may be a particle that's causing the needle not to seat right, causing the leak.
    Also check your oil, sometimes gas will leak into the cylenders as well as the airbox, and get into the oil. Gas in your oil is bad, and should be changed asap.

Good luck.

Comment

FLoat valve is leaking, When you clean it make sure to replace the O ring
      & check the oil

Comment

yeah. the leak happens only running. so I'm thinking needle is not seating. cause grud from old 1983 fuel system. clean needle vale seat again. I will try to find the O ring. Instal a fuel filter to give a long term fix. the inside of the tank looks OK. do we all agree or am missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by dale kelly
          yeah. the leak happens only running. so I'm thinking needle is not seating. cause grud from old 1983 fuel system. clean needle vale seat again. I will try to find the O ring. Instal a fuel filter to give a long term fix. the inside of the tank looks OK. do we all agree or am missing something?
          You just put in a new petcock, right? So you remember that it had a screen on it? That screen should be all the filter you need. I installed an inline filter on my 450 and it gave me fuel starvation problems. :x

Michael

Comment

Working...
          X