Magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnets

Any one have any thoughts about possable weak magnets causing low stator output, and can they be recharged as such, I used to have this problem years ago on british bikes. I see some one here posted that they replaced there stator and still only got 50volts AC from it, Iam getting 62ac from mine witch I pulled to check and discovered that it already has after market replacement in mine.

Meter error? What does your meter read on a house socket? Are you checking the output at 5K rpm

Comment

meter

Iam sure the readings are correct I backed it with another meter both are very high end units, and yes I did it at 5k both by the tac on the bike and one seperate unit hooked in to the system, the stator passes all other tests both in the manual and in the stator papers,

Comment

I haven't redone the stator voltage test due to all of the noise my bike makes but I've checked the battery voltage and it pegs at 14.7 volts @ 2-3000 RPM. Assuming my measurement is correct the Suzuki manual stands correct at 50 volts being enough.

Steve

Comment

If your magnet is fragmented it could be weakened. I see that mine is a bit cracked.

Comment

magnets

No the magnets are not cracked I know that I have a failed recifer, curent both sides of the diodes but I am trying to figure where the 75-90 volts is coming from as far as facts stated here there and every where

Comment

It is a fact that heat kills magnets, so maybe the aftermarket replacement was not as robust magnet-wise as teh origianl Suzi, therefore after a few heat cycles has 'broken down' its field from heat?

Comment

Re: magnets

Originally posted by Gee-s-is
                No the magnets are not cracked I know that I have a failed recifer, curent both sides of the diodes but I am trying to figure where the 75-90 volts is coming from as far as facts stated here there and every where
                Are you asking where we're supposed to be measuring the 80 AC volts? It's between any two of the three yellow stator wires with the RR completely disconnected.

But if that wasn't what you mean then nevermind!

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
                  It is a fact that heat kills magnets, so maybe the aftermarket replacement was not as robust magnet-wise as teh origianl Suzi, therefore after a few heat cycles has 'broken down' its field from heat?
                  I think that he was saying the magnet is stock but the stator has been replaced before.

Michael

Comment

I used to have a GS400 that had weak magnets in the rotor. When I unbolted the stator cover, I just pulled it off easily by hand. The magnets were barely strong enough to hold up a small screwdriver.

By contrast, the stator cover on my GS850 was very difficult to remove because of the strong magnetic attraction between the magnets and the stator core. I had to be careful while the cover was off so bolts and debris didn't stick to it. The magnets will hold up a large wrench easily just by the end of the wrench.

So yes, it is possible for the magnets to lose their strength. I have no idea how or why this happens, but it does.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I used to have a GS400 that had weak magnets in the rotor. When I unbolted the stator cover, I just pulled it off easily by hand. The magnets were barely strong enough to hold up a small screwdriver.

By contrast, the stator cover on my GS850 was very difficult to remove because of the strong magnetic attraction between the magnets and the stator core. I had to be careful while the cover was off so bolts and debris didn't stick to it. The magnets will hold up a large wrench easily just by the end of the wrench.

So yes, it is possible for the magnets to lose their strength. I have no idea how or why this happens, but it does.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The magnets can be demagnetized by hitting the rotor with a hammer, which is unfortunately a common method some people use to try and loosen the rotor.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Lobacz
                          The magnets can be demagnetized by hitting the rotor with a hammer, which is unfortunately a common method some people use to try and loosen the rotor.
                          Hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

I avoid the hammer method on pretty much everything whenever possible, but can be coerced into reverting to it.

Usually, that is the worst time to be standing over the bike with a hammer, though.

Comment

Working...
                          X