brake switch dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake switch dilemma

One of my problems(many) working on this gs750t is the front brake does not activate the brake light. Now I have done my searches on here and thought I might tackle it tonight. Flipped over the brake lever and housing and there was no switch, knew kind of what I was looking for but it wasn't there. Now there was a similar looking switch on the bottom of the clutch lever housing. So I opened it two little screws holding in a little switch board attached to some wires that seem to run into the headlight. the board was all gunked up so I pulled and cleaned under it was a small half moon copper clip on one side did not play with it and an open square space on the other. It looks like a brake switch should but is on the bottom of the clutch side I am confused. Any ideas or help out there.

Do you have to pull in the clutch to start the bike? It is probbaly a clutch cutout switch, but it may have been bypassed by someone. You should have a similar switch for the brake side. The standard switch is a bit fragile and wears out. A hydraulically operated one is much better.

Comment

i do have to pull the clutch to start that could be it. However on the brake side I don't have anything at all on the bottom of the housing.

Comment

You can't go wrong with the hydraulic switch. It's so easy to install and I think I paid $15 shipped to the door from denniskirk.com.

Read this thread

There is also a thread under product reviews that will give you the correct thread size. Be careful to get the right thread size.

As for the clutch switch, it is the same type as the factory front brake switch. It's the nuetral safety switch, you have to pull the clutch in to activate it in order to start the bike. I was having trouble starting my bike and I loosened the screws and moved it a bit and it's fine. If you do a search on the clutch switch, a lot of people have bypassed it. I thought of doing this myself, but I'll wait till it gives out. I think you can just solder the 2 wires together.

Good Luck. BTW I rode for about 2 weeks without a front brake light switch. Just used enough rear brake to trip the light. Denniskirk was the cheapest and really fast shipping. I ordered it on fri or Sat night and had it by wed or thursday.

Dave

Comment

Unplug the clutch switch and the wires should plug into them selfs. Put the switch on the brake side and connect to the brake wires in the headlight bucket

Comment

Brake switch

Originally posted by dmplatt
            You can't go wrong with the hydraulic switch.
            Just fitted one to the back brake this morning.Very cool and well worth the money! 8)

Comment

I just replaced with the hydraulics, SUPER and easy

Comment

Hmm, I must be lucky. Mine still works, just have to clean the contacts every couple years

Comment

Working...
                X