Center Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center Stand

Just FYI. I asked a question awhile ago about fitting a center stand off an older 550.

Well I found out that the older bikes that have the dual rear shocks, the cross member of the center stand is lower to the ground.
    Since I have the mono rear shock, the cross member will hit the shock when up. I've searched e-bay and else where and can't find one for a mono shock '83 GS 750E. I'm not even sure what it should look like?

I may try to modify one, but I'm no welder, maybe a friend can do it for me?

Dave

Do you know how far it needs to be raised?
    and will it clear everything else when moved?
    is the hight and mounting points correct and you just need the cross member raised?

If so, I can do it, heck, I may know where one is, the semi-local wrecking yard has a 83, I don't know if it is a 550 or a 750 due to it not having a engine in it, but I am pretty sure it had a centerstand.

pm me if you want me to do it or check to see if they have it.

Comment

Dave yes that does happen. The centre stand on my 750 has the cross member bent into a semicircle to accomodate the monoshock. Maybe someone could just cut out the straight cross member and weld in a new bit of pipe bent in the right way?
      S.

Comment

My company used to do business with a welder. I know him well, but last I heard he and my company had a falling out. I will try to see if he can do it for me. Being in a machine shop, I can make a new cross memeber if needed, but I think I may be able to cut it off and just have it welded a couple inches up.

I'll talk to him tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Leon, I'll see if he can do it. If not, then maybe I'll PM ya and see what we can do.

Thanks guys.

Dave

Comment

You can fabricate anything, but I would recomend finding one from a salvage yard. Be sure when finding one you ask for the mounting bolts, bushings, & spring. The leingth & streingh of the spring is critical, bushings must fit, & I think the bolts have a special shoulder on them, not just a bolt. Find everything together & everything will bolt right up & fit & work perfectly. Have you posted in the parts wanted section of this forum?

Comment

Definitely agree re finding the right one. However I had no trouble finding bushings that pressed into the CS (I had to shorten them) or bolts that fit the bushings.

I was unable to find a replacement for the '83gs750e but easily found one for an 1100 and made up one CS using the original, which had it's foot lever trashed and worn bushings. Simple to grind off the foot levers and braise the good one onto the original stand. I used flat washers on the outboard end of the bolts and against the nut along with a lock washer.

There has been absolutely no problem (other than the agreed upon labour involved) and my center stand works well.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. My local chop shop wanted a straight $40 for one and I pull it. They were kind of jerks to.
              I found one local for $12 from a guy who had an '80 GS 850. But as I stated about the Mono shock, Plus the bolt pattern is not quite the same. One side fits and the other is off by just under .200". I think what I'll do it use this as more of a Jack. I think I'll take it to work tomorrow and mill off the .200" of one side. The bushings fit fine. So I'll just put it on when I need it and put the bike up, when done I will take it off and remove the center stand. This will be a pain in the arse, but it will suffice for what I need. The only time I really need a center stand is oil changes, chain lube and front end work.
              Seeings that this is a GS, It won't be often right?

Dave

Comment

Working...
              X