Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 L to 850 g parts compatibility

hi all,
    i have some questions about body parts. first of all i have a 850L. its a nice bike in its stock form. but i already had a 1980 gs 550L about ten years back. i really would have liked a 850g model. but this bike was given to me.
    so my questions are. can 850 g body parts swap out on a 850L.

i would like to change the tank. i would like to change the seat but i can already tell that aint gonna happen. i see the g model is hinged on the left.
    im planning on making a tail fairing fit the L model. either way.

also i assume i can switch out the forks as well. but what i want to know is there much handling difference between the 2. with the axle shaft on the L model leading the forks i would assume the bike should steer looser.

i am also planning on putting a national f-16 headlight sport fairng on the bike with either clubman or drag bars. ive already started to plan out moving the foot pegs back. plus put on smaller marker lights.

i ride sport bikes so im used to this riding position. i want to customize this bike . make it stand out a bit. ive seen a few tricked out here ,the way i plan on making this one.
    i know a 850 L is a touring bike but for touring i have a harley electra glide. so this will be just a bike for fun.

any advise or thought is appreciated.
    thanks , eric

The seat on my '82 "G" is removable and has a lock at the rear. You'd have to compare the rear frame sections to see if you could swap seats, fenders, etc. My experience is with my bike only, so I can't tell you about the handling differences. I do know that the forks show up on eBay quite regularly. I would guess that the fork differences were primarily for looks.

Comment

My first thought is to wonder why you don't just buy a G model. I've sort of developed the opinion that it's best to start with a bike that provides the sort of ride you want. Maybe you could sell the GL and make enough to buy a G.

I believe that there are two reasons for the changed axle position on the L models. One is to create a longer fork and thus more fork travel. More fork travel provides a more comfortable ride. Another affect is to create more caster effect that will cause the bike to be more likely to go in a straight line. Both would be desireable for a cruiser.

I've studied crossover parts on the 850GL and 850G models and it seems that very few body parts will cross. The engine, drive train, brakes, and electrical system seem to cross pretty well. You're right. You're stuck with the tank and seat, unless you want to make some non-trivial modifications. I'm pretty sure that the frames are different. A while back I looked at the rear springs/shocks and found that they don't cross between the two models.

Comment

well i got the bike for free. it needs some tlc. it was not running, it had a locked up motor when i got it. once i freed it up i decided to get into it. it needs paint , tires ,seat cover, fork seals,brakes, needed air box rubbers to the carbs.
        i dont think i could sell this for much. and even then i doubt i would buy a gs 850 . i would get a 1000.

but it already has a kerker 4 into 1 and runs sweet. i had to degunk the carbs. it sat outside for 2 years , uncovered.

so with that in mind and all the stuff i need to replace i figured have some fun with it.
        i will post some pics.

Comment

I have an 850 and an two 1100s and it's definitely true that for real performance the 1100 is it. I try to keep the 850 as close to stock as I can. I have lots of mods in mind for my 1100s. Still, I think the E models are probably the best performers and am looking to add one to my collection. I suspect some may argue with me on this, however.

Comment

i see i cant just load up photos on here. i guess i need it linked to something , eh?

Comment

Working...
            X