Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 GS550M Revs to 6k then dies when starting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS550M Revs to 6k then dies when starting.

I purchased my house in oct and a '82 GS550M came along with it. No idea how long it has been sitting.

Problem: After starting the engine revs to about 5-6k then dies out. (choke is on) I can give it gas and it will go to 9k but still dies. The engine has 13,000 miles on it and sounds good.

This is after the following has been done:
    Changed Oil
    Cleaned out the gas tank/petcock drained all old fuel.
    Totally Cleaned out the carbs, was quite the mess all the needle valves were siezed up solid. Diaphrams are all in good condition. One o-ring on the tube between carbs is leaking fuel. (new o-ring ordered)
    New Plugs installed and spark is good.

Any suggestions?

550m overrev

Make sure your throttle cable isn't hanging up. Twist the grip, it should return quickly. Check choke cable. Adjust air fuel mixture screws. Idle adjustment knob. Check for air leaks around intake boots. Boots sometimes crack.

Manually push cables on carbs to ensure that the throtle and choke are closed after starting.

Is the Katana model with the orange seat? Good luck, Carter
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

1982 GS550M Revs to 6k then dies when starting

Yeah thats the Katana with orange seat! Thanks for your suggestions. The Throttle is completly closed when the bike revs up.. I have the carbs out to fix the fuel leak right now but as soon as i put them back in I will give your suggestions a try!

Thanks a ton

Richard

Comment

free Katana....sweet deal.

Comment

Re: 1982 GS550M Revs to 6k then dies when starting.

Not one for giving subtle hints. :-) :-) Your carbs are crapped up beyond being usable. The only way to clean them is to disassemble them completely, remove all plastic and rubber parts, and soak them at least 24 hours in carb dip, then blow them dry, and replace ALL "O" rings and gaskets. Write down all the settings as you are disassembling them.

Spraying with a can of carb spray is pretty much an exercise in futility and only useful as a method of excerising a finger. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Somed00d
          I purchased my house in oct and a '82 GS550M came along with it. No idea how long it has been sitting.

Problem: After starting the engine revs to about 5-6k then dies out. (choke is on) I can give it gas and it will go to 9k but still dies. The engine has 13,000 miles on it and sounds good.

This is after the following has been done:
          Changed Oil
          Cleaned out the gas tank/petcock drained all old fuel.
          Totally Cleaned out the carbs, was quite the mess all the needle valves were siezed up solid. Diaphrams are all in good condition. One o-ring on the tube between carbs is leaking fuel. (new o-ring ordered)
          New Plugs installed and spark is good.

Any suggestions?
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

carb-dip

Yeah I have pretty much come to that conclusion. I have soaked them with parts cleaner but i cannot find a good chem dip here in canada. Still Keeping my eyes open for something better..

Comment

spray two cans of carb cleaner into a bucket, let the parts soak in there.

be sure to count how many turns your adjustments screws are set to, before you dissasemble.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
              X