Big Bore 750 Kit into a stock 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bore 750 Kit into a stock 850

My 850 sat for years outside uncovered & untouched, I have it on the road now & runs good , Does not use any oil or smoke as of yet, I'd say maybe 800 miles since running again, Right after I got it running I had a local shop fine tune , they done a leak down test & said #4 was weak & may have to be gone into & rebuild parts are hard to find, Any one use a 750 Big bore kit in a 850 just for future reference if I do have to go into it

Suzuki still carries everything you would need for a top end overhaul, some oversized pistons are not available anymore but you can use the next bigger size.

the problem with the 750-850 big bore kit is, if you have to bore the 850 over, the pistons wont fit, and I am not sure if the pistons will work anyway.

Comment

I would not worry about it yet. Run the bike at least 1k miles then recheck the compression, check the valves clearances too.

Comment

parts available

I am in the middle of rebuilding a 79 gs850, I was able to get .50 over pistons direct from suzuki, check with your local dealer. They are kind of pricey, but I couldn't find them anywhere else.

Luke

Comment

When I rebuilt my 850, I ordered OEM piston rings. After hanging up the phone, I thought it was horrible that Suzuki parts prices were so far out of line that the total was over $200. I mean, over $50 each for three slivers of metal? But I had to have 'em...

When I got the box after crying about parts prices for a week, I found that apparently the guy on the other end had heard "pistons, rings" instead of just "piston rings". He had sent a complete set of pistons AND rings.

DOH!

I think the pistons were about $43 each and the ring sets were another $9 or $10 each. Not too bad, really.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
          X