400 L - 450 L switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

400 L - 450 L switch?

Does anybody know if a 450L engine will fit into a 400L frame? this is crutial, for the engine is selling in 4 days. any help? where could i find out?

You could ask a used bike dealer if they fit. You'll need to get some of the wiring harness along with the engine, I see the seller is selling the ignitor seperately and you'll be needing that part if it isn't the same as the one on your bike currently.

Steve

Comment

Ignition is the same according to my Clymer.

Comment

if it were my money, I'd go for it. It seems unlikely that the mounting would be any different. Even if it were, a little welding later, and you're there

Comment

Same year???

If they are the same year -- no problem.

You know that the 400 motor develops more horsepower than the 450? The 400 has 4 valves per cylinder, and the 450 only 2.

SV

Comment

From everything I can tell, the gs400 makes 36hp
            the GS450 makes 44hp.

Well worth the swap, If anyone has different data please post.

Mo

Comment

Originally posted by Mobetter
              From everything I can tell, the gs400 makes 36hp
              the GS450 makes 44hp.

Well worth the swap, If anyone has different data please post.
              Mo
              Mo,
              The GS 400 L motor I was thinking of was the Canadian / European spec motor of that vintage. As a 4 valve per cylinder motor, it would develop more HP at the same displacement. The info I have seen indicates about 41 HP from this 8 valve motor.

I'd really be surprised to see a 22% increase in power from a 12% increase in cubic capacity, especially with the reduction in the valve train.

SV

Comment

Working...
              X