GS500E Dies on startup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS500E Dies on startup.

I'm stuck in Galveston, TX, for a couple weeks.

I have been given a 1995 GS500E to use for the time, under the condition that I get it running.

The bike will start for an instant. The longer I let it sit, the longer it will run, but 2-3 seconds is tops.

The battery was dead and I was unsure that it was taking a charge, so it has been replaced with a new one; I charged it as directed.

I pulled off the carbs; everything seemed to operate smoothly but I disassembled them and gave them a good hosing off with carb cleaner.

Upon reassembly, I ensured that the connections were correct and that the lines from the petcock were installed correctly (they had been replaced with automotive line...I got some of the thinner walled motorcycle stuff, as the automotive lines were cracking at the ends).

Exactly the same symptoms upon reassembly.

The carb bowls are full of fuel; they have the little bleeders on the bottom and fuel pours out (even after I emptied the bowls during cleaning) so I assume the valves are opening.

Fuel does not appear to be pouring down the bowls, I don't think they're staying open.

The bike runs if I spray starting fluid in, but still dies fairly quickly.

I think it's not a fuel issue...but it's getting spark, and it's a brand new air filter.

I can't find any obvious air leaks; the rubber boots are supple and in good condition, and I made sure they are well sealed and connected.

Anyone have any ideas? If I don't get it fixed, I'll a) lose face before an attractive woman (who is my co-worker's sister, so don't go getting any ideas--I'm hoping she has friends, lol!) and b) I'll have to pay for a taxi to go anywhere.

Thanks!

Ben

The fuel and intake system sound like they are fine , so the only othr part of the eqation is electrical.
    A bad connection will do this, it may even be a broken wire, when it is cold it will conduct, but as soon as power flows through it it heats up expands and breaks the connection.
    Dink

Comment

Re: GS500E Dies on startup.

Originally posted by Greywolf
      I'm stuck in Galveston, TX, for a couple weeks.
      Anyone have any ideas? If I don't get it fixed, I'll a) lose face before an attractive woman (who is my co-worker's sister, so don't go getting any ideas--I'm hoping she has friends, lol!) and b) I'll have to pay for a taxi to go anywhere.

Thanks!

Ben

Dude, if you bought this bike to look good in front of a female you bought the wrong bike.

My GS is my personal project bike. When I'm taking my girlfriend out, I take the Kawasaki Vulcan. It may be smaller but I know it won't have any bitchy issues.

Save whatever face you can while you can and just take it to a shop or take her out on a different bike.

:P
      Dm of mD

Comment

DM, you misunderstand.
        This is not my bike.
        I own a 1983 GS650GL, which I bought because I like it.

The GS500E is HER bike. For crying out loud, it's PURPLE! ...but it's a GS (or sorts) and it's 1000 times better than walking.

She is letting me use it while I'm stuck in port, so long as I can get it going; her brother and I work on the same ship,and he "volunteered" me to fix her 1962 Dune Buggy (which I have been making great progress in).

She said, "It's been sitting, I think the carbs are gummed up and the battery is dead, but if you get it started, you can use it while the ship is here."

I said, (as I stood proudly over the heap of parts where I'd just yanked, rebuilt, and reinstalled the 1200cc VW engine in 6 hours), "No problem, I'll be riding it back to the ship tomorrow."

That was 3 days ago.

Dink--good advice, I'll redo all the electrical connectors tomorrow. The bike has only 11,000 miles on it, but I didn't pull apart the connectors at the coils...I figured one would be good, at least, enough for it to sputter a bit or something.

Ben

Comment

Well, it's over.

The (new) battery was stone dead when I showed up.

I am sure it's electric--I used a tell-tale on one of the plugs; spark dies out in about 3 seconds after the engine fires, even after I gave the battery 5 hours at a 1 3/4 amp charge (not connected to the bike) and fired the bike with the charger in 10 amp mode (all cables connected).

So I worked on rewiring the dune buggy...and told her I just don't have time to troubleshoot the bike too, she'll have to take it somewhere.

She's still getting a deal on a free dune buggy restoration. :/

Ben

Comment

Working...
          X