Low Oil Pressure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Oil Pressure?

First, Thank you for this site, it has been extremely valuable.

I acquired a 1981 GS1000GL from a friend that hadn't ridden this bike for nigh unto 10 years. After performing many rebuild operations on various parts of the bike it runs and looks well. Now for my question: When the motor is warmed up my oil pressure warning switch lights up when the clutch is disengaged but never lights up when the clutch is engaged. This situation is somewhat infrequent but getting steadily worse. I don't have an oil cooler and the bike is completely stock. I run 20W-50 Castrol oil in it. What can I do?

Again, thank you for this valuable resource.

Albert Botton

My first guess is that he switch has gone bad, but I'm not real sure how to test it, other then putting in a known good one in it's place. The switch sits on top of the tranny, and has a couple wires going to it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I looked into it a little further and I think the clutch cable housing passes near (touches) the wire post on the sending unit. I think the housing is grounding against the post. I'm going to tie the cable housing away from the sending unit post and try it tonight.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

you already have found what I was going to suggest, this problem has popped up from time to time, occasionally the clutch cable rubs through the insulation on the wire for the oil pressure sender shorting it to ground.
        when you squeeze the clutch lever the cable flexes and makes contact (or vise versa)

Comment

Another vote for the cable!!!!

Comment

That's exactly what it was, lot's of worry for nothing.

Thanks all for responding so fast.

Comment

Working...
            X