Need Help FAST! tire question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help FAST! tire question.

Ok, I ordered some tires last week, and I either I just wasn't paying attention or what, but I got the wrong size.

I am going out of town on thursday so getting a new tire here in time is almost out of the question.

The Metzeler site says the bike takes a 130/90/17, but this is almost impossible to find here in Atlanta. The closest thing I've found is a 140/70/17.

Is that tire too radical of a difference (the front is a Metzeler E33 Laser 100/90/19), or is it too low or what? I'm in a huge pickle!!!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Re: Need Help FAST! tire question.

I hate to say this, but I would not put a 140/70/17 in place of a 130/90/17.
    The reason being the 90 is a high profile trile and the 70 is a lower profile.
    You rim width matches the 130/90 profile. A wider tire plus a lower profile would pinch in the tire bead too much for me to feel good about using it.
    I dont think your stock rim is wide enough to use the 140/70 and preserve the correct profile.

Earl

Originally posted by Psychoholic
    Ok, I ordered some tires last week, and I either I just wasn't paying attention or what, but I got the wrong size.

I am going out of town on thursday so getting a new tire here in time is almost out of the question.

The Metzeler site says the bike takes a 130/90/17, but this is almost impossible to find here in Atlanta. The closest thing I've found is a 140/70/17.

Is that tire too radical of a difference (the front is a Metzeler E33 Laser 100/90/19), or is it too low or what? I'm in a huge pickle!!!

Thanks in advance,

Chris
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Ok, then I go to plan B.

***Update***

I found a tire!!!! Bridgestone S11R 130/90H17.

Now I have to drive to Athens to get it. I would love to hold out and get the matched tire for the back, but this too is bias tire and I'm in a bind for time. Maybe when I get back I'll order some more tires.

Comment

The Bridgestone will do fine for fit, and being bias also, you shouldnt have any problems. I dont know what kind of milage you can expect from it or what type of compound it is, but if youre not a real aggressive rider, I see no problems. (it may be sticky enough to ride aggressively,.....I dont know)

Earl

Ok, then I go to plan B.

***Update***

I found a tire!!!! Bridgestone S11R 130/90H17.

Now I have to drive to Athens to get it. I would love to hold out and get the matched tire for the back, but this too is bias tire and I'm in a bind for time. Maybe when I get back I'll order some more tires.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Aggressive is one way to describe my riding style =)

Well, after dragging my left and right pegs deep into a rather zealous S in the road (I live in a riders paradise - country roads that are well maintained and rarely any cops), I can say that those are some pretty nice and sticky tires.

I quit dragging peg when I noticed that my overflow on #2 was overflowing again (a quick tap to the bowl cured that, but the problem is still with there on occasion). So when I got home and the bike was cool I took the carbs off checked the floats in #2 again, they move nice and freely. I did smooth off some burrs on them, made sure that nothing on the bottom half was stuck and took it back out for a ride. Made it about 10 minutes of some AGGRESSIVE riding and it started doing it again. Seems to start after some heavy acceleration when the bowls might be somewhat depleted of fuel. I am at a loss again.

However wow what a difference new tires makes, I like that Metzeler E33 on the front, it makes short work of grooves in the road.

Chris

Comment

Yeah, I really like the Metz in the front. :-)

Earl

Comment

Re: Need Help FAST! tire question.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Chris,

I use parts411.com. They are pretty good about having tires for all different types of bikes. I got an el cheapo for my gs for about 45 bucks. Took about a week to get it. btw, I live in Marietta.. lemme know if you want to ride some time.

Comment

Working...
              X