I'm an idiot... stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm an idiot... stator

Well, I have a charging problem and I have been following the stator papers. The only problem is that I don't know where the stator is. I took off the right hand side cover, but I didn't know if I had to remove more to get to it. My Haynes manual pretty much sucks, it doesn't really show the location of anything. Please help me. And please take it easy on me.

btw- its a '79 gs1000

Comment

cover

Don't feel bad, it's under the left cover, at least on my 750 it is....Mike

Comment

I believe that the stator is under the cover on the left side of the bike (as you're sitting on it). The right side cover houses the clutch assembly. I looked on Bikebandit to see if they showed it in their exploded views but they don't.

Comment

Remember to drain the oil before you take off the left cover!!!

8O
          Dm of mD

Comment

The stator is inside the engine-- under the left engine cover. The regulator
            rect is probably mounted on the bottom of the battery box

Comment

Thanks guys. I replaced the rectifier about two weeks ago (electrex) and everything seemed to be fine, until my battery died again.

All I know is, Harleys are a lot easier to work on.

Comment

oil

Detman, you said to drain the oil, I only lost about 1/2 a liter, if that when I did mine....Mike

Comment

Re: oil

Originally posted by mikemilburn
                  Detman, you said to drain the oil, I only lost about 1/2 a liter, if that when I did mine....Mike
                  Lean it against a wall when you are really cheap like me

Comment

Originally posted by ohioGS

All I know is, Harleys are a lot easier to work on.
                    Just got the manual for the Fat Boy the other week, pulling the stator on the GS is much simpler carb work however....

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
                      Just got the manual for the Fat Boy the other week, pulling the stator on the GS is much simpler carb work however....
                      Let me rephrase that, the Harley's I've had were a lot easier to work on. Evos and shovels were pretty simple machines.

Comment

Maybe this is obvious to everyone but me, but you can test the resistance and voltage of the stator without removing the cover. Last week I went through the whole stator papers troubleshooting procedure and when I got to the stator part I found the bolts on the cover were completely stuck. After some cursing I realized I could just disconnect the leads from the stator near the battery box and run the tests on those wires. The stator passed, so I can deal with the cover some other day. So if you're just testing the stator try this, but be aware that if there's a problem, it could be the stator or the wires.

Comment

Good point about testing without removing.

Keep in mind that if you remove the cover, there will be a pretty strong magnetic pull to overcome, along with whatever resistance you get from the old gasket and/or sealers.

A few things to remember:

1) DON'T pry on any sealing surfaces. You will want to. Don't, or they will get gouged.

2) Make sure you pull it straight off. There are a couple of pretty tight dowels that locate the stator cover precisely, so it will be impossible to move if you apply pressure at an angle.

3) When you reinstall, make sure you clean any metal bolts, shavings, scraps, etc. from the magnets inside the rotor.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Re: oil

Originally posted by mikemilburn
                            I only lost 1/4 Litre, or less.
                            The trick, is to put a block of 19MM (0.75Inch) under the left centerstand?s leg, one hour or two before start to work in your bike.

Good Luck

Eliseo.

Comment

Working...
                            X