Lock-Tite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lock-Tite

The guy who previously owned my motorcycle apparently used lock-tite on the screws for the casing. I can't get the screws out now. Any suggestions???

Impact driver.

Dm of mD

Comment

Can't...I don't own one and the 3 of screws are stripped. I was thinking about drilling them out, but I'm not sure there's enough metal to retap.

Comment

You can use a sawzall blade and file a slot in the head of the screw before you try to drill it out.

Then insert the flathead bit of the impact driver and knock that baby out.

If that fails, then you will have to drill it out.

Dm of mD

Comment

Slot the screws with a dremel tool, then use an impact driver. Sears has an Impact driver that is pretty cheap, and is a worthwile investment.

Comment

Working with the phillips screws, you MUST have an impact driver. You can also use a drill to remove the head of the bolt, then use vise grips when you have the cover off.

Comment

heat

If you're sure it's Loctite holding it and not corrosion, use heat. The blue is supposed to be easy removal with no heat required, if it's red heat will definetly be needed. Even if it is corrosion heat can't hurt anyway...Mike

Comment

A trick a machinist taught me is to use a chisel to make a notch on the outside of the screw head and then hit the screw head with the chisel at the notch tangentially to the screw to turn it. Works more than half the time for me.

BTW, get an impact driver. On an old bike I wouldn't even think of putting screwdriver to screw without first loosening it with an impact driver. Once you get them out change them to allen headed screws.

Good Luck.

Jeff

Comment

An impact driver is standard equipment for all of us with these old bikes. I don't even think of taking my out my case bolts without it. Everyone has dropped some good tips, but if you can't get it out, run by the hardware store and get a screw extractor. It has reverse threads and it is tapered. Put your drill in reverse and it will dig it's way into the bolt until it breaks free. Requires drilling a pilot hole first. However, using a screw extractor greatly reduces the risk of you accidentally clipping some of your case with the drill bit when trying to drill out an entire bolt. People use these on nasty situations like rusty exhaust head bolts and the like. Good thing is that they make smaller sizes for smaller bolts/screws.

Here is an example extractor. They also come with square flutes for softer materials.

Good luck!
                  Jon
                  16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                  13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                  78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                  Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                  02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                  12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                  82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

The extractor was going to be my next step. Unfortunately, I while I would love to own and impact driver, I simply can't afford one now. This will be the first time I'll have to extract a screw, so I need to know what, if any, damage will it do to the casing? Will I have to rethread? If so, how do I do that?

Comment

An impact driver (not impact gun) is going to cost you about 10 bucks at a discount tool store. I don't know just how stripped the head on the screw is but these gadgets do work well. I use mine as a screw-driver most of the time before I start beating on it with a 2 pound hammer.

Steve

Comment

Reverse drill bits are your friend.

Screw extractors are as well.

Dang it! I finally find a thread I can contribute some help to and everyone has already covered it!

Comment

Steve is right. Impact screwdrivers are only $10-$20. Not to be confused with an impact wrench (sometimes called an impact driver). The impact screwdriver is a hand-powered tool that you strike with a mallet or hammer.

-jon
                          16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                          13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                          78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                          Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                          02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Like this:

here:
                            Sears

Comment

Lock-tite

A word of warning-screw extractors AKA Easy-outs are seriously hardened and VERY brittle.Be very careful using them as,if they break they're almost impossible to drill out.You'd need to get it spark eroded,and that ain't cheap!Go for heat and the impact driver,if you strip the thread it's easy and cheap enough to put a thread insert in.

Comment

Working...
                              X