Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaned Starter Motor Fouls Less Than Two Months???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaned Starter Motor Fouls Less Than Two Months???

Hey guys, gurus and the like. You all gave me advice back when my bike was having issues cranking when hot. I followed your recommendations and fixed it in this thread and was so happy.

Now here we are not even a full two months later and it was all carbed up again. I had to take it apart again last night and clean it out. Now it works like new again. Do I need to do something more than just clean? Do I need to coat it or something? What did I miss?

DId you replace the starter brushes?

Comment

I was going to say its most likely your brushes are worn out, but Lynn beat me to it. :-) :-)

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

OK I just cleaned them. Maybe that's it. Is there a known good source for them? Or shall I just use the dealer?

Thx guys.

Comment

If you just cleaned out the inside of the starter motor and have the same problem now it could be the commutator is worn and needs to be re-trued. Once they get out of round or have uneven surface's they can destroy brushes with ease.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Everything seems fine since that last cleaning so I am going to wait to see if it happens again. If it does then I will replace the brushes.

Comment

Working...
            X