Super exciting coil questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super exciting coil questions!

So my condensors for my CDI ignition are right on my coils. My question here is where can I find cheap replacement coils (OEM coils being 115) with condensors on them?

BTW I went to napa and got some 12v condensors and that didnt work 8O

Re: Super exciting coil questions!

Wait a minute here. You have a 1977 GS400? There were NO 77 400's manufactured with a CDI ignition system and as far as I know there were never any aftermarket retrofit CDI systems for that bike manufactured either. Neither were 1977 400's manufactured with an electronic ignition system. Besides that, electronic ignition systems do not use condensors. Your bike was made to use points and condensors and both of those parts are available at http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/interest.htm
    If you do not see exactly what you need or are unsure, call them on the phone. BOB is a great guy and KNOWS what he's talking about and he can help. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by VermontNewbie
    So my condensors for my CDI ignition are right on my coils. My question here is where can I find cheap replacement coils (OEM coils being 115) with condensors on them?

BTW I went to napa and got some 12v condensors and that didnt work 8O
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I'm just spittin out what my friend (who is a HD mechanic hehe) called my ignition system. Either way I need a coil with a condensor on it and can't afford the 115 for a new one. My coil is shot with a new condensor soddered onto it, so the condensor was not the problem. I need to know what coils I can buy that have condensors built on like the stock gs400.

Comment

It is possible someone at some time replaced your ignition system with a Dyna electronic or something equivilent. Look on the right end of your crankshaft under the 6" round cover. You will see a round plate. Mounted on that plate you will see either a spring assembly with a pair of contact points
        on its end, or you will see a black plastic solid body sensor. The sensor indicates electronic ignition and needs no condensor. The points do require a condensor. There is a possibility the person prior to your owning the bike did not know this and installed a condensor into the wrong system. check to be sure of what you have. It should be metal spring points and a condensor. If it does require a condensor, it does not matter if it is mounted on the coil or is mounted on the breaker/backing plate.
        The condensor is grounded by its mounting bracket and wired to the input side of the points regardless of where it is physically located. Call cycle recycle (their phone is listed on their website) after you have checked and are positive of what type of ignition system you actually have. Talk to BOB, he can get you running with what you need. He carries universal coils in addition to model specific coils and has an assortment of condensors and points. You will likely need coil, condensor and pointset.
        A universal coil is about $40, pointset about $8 and condensor about $8
        Also, if soldering condensors into place, it is important not to get them hot as it will destroy them.

Earl

I'm just spittin out what my friend (who is a HD mechanic hehe) called my ignition system. Either way I need a coil with a condensor on it and can't afford the 115 for a new one. My coil is shot with a new condensor soddered onto it, so the condensor was not the problem. I need to know what coils I can buy that have condensors built on like the stock gs400.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

My understanding is the condensors are those cylinders at the back of each of those coils? Thats what my local mechanic and my buddy told me, there are no condensors nor a black sensor unit, but there are points. So can I just mount a condensor in there?

Comment

er what I should be asking is if its ok for me to buy any coil and mount a condensor on it?

Comment

Yes, you can. 12 volt + power is supplied to the positive terminal of your coil from the ignition switch. On your left coil, its negative terminal/s wire runs to the left pointset at on the end of the crankshaft. The negative wire on the right coil runs to the right pointset on the end of the crankshaft. The condensor may be wired in, at either of these points or anywhere in between. All it has to do is stabilize the voltage. It isnt smart enough to know the difference between being at the beginning end of the wire or being at the ending end of the wire. :-) The most simple thing to do would be to install the condensors in the same location as shown on the drawing you posted. As long as the shell of the condensor is grounded and its wire is connected to the wire running between the coil negative and the pointset, it will be fine.

Earl

My understanding is the condensors are those cylinders at the back of each of those coils? Thats what my local mechanic and my buddy told me, there are no condensors nor a black sensor unit, but there are points. So can I just mount a condensor in there?

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                Yes, you can. 12 volt + power is supplied to the positive terminal of your coil from the ignition switch. On your left coil, its negative terminal wire runs to the left pointset at on the end of the crankshaft. The negative wire on the right coil runs to the right pointset on the end of the crankshaft. The condensor may be wired in, at either of these points or anywhere in between. All it has to do is stabilize the voltage. It isnt smart enough to know the difference between being at the beginning end of the wire or being at the ending end of the wire. :-) The most simple thing to do would be to install the condensors in the same location as shown on the drawing you posted. As long as the shell of the condensor is grounded and its wire is connected to the wire running between the coil negative and the pointset, it will be fine.

Earl

Comment

Working...
                X