Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 GS550EF Carb Hoses

My first post because I need Help!
    I decided to remove the carbs and replace the intake manifold o-rings but forgot to take note where all the carb fuel and vent hoses attach to. I cannot find any info or pictures on the routing. There are four connections onthe carbs, and I am pretty sure I got the fuel and vacuum lines to the pettycock correct, and I think the other 2 are float bowl vents. But when I start it up and apply throttle it dies instantly and it only runs with full choke. I'm pretty sure I've made a simple mistake but can't figure it out.
    I'm getting close to taking it in.
    Cheers

Re: 1984 GS550EF Carb Hoses

The 5/16" line is fuel and connects between the gas "T" fitting junction between the 2 and 3 carbs and the large inlet on the petcock. The 1/4" inlet on the petcock connects to (usually...can vary with models) the vacuum tube on the left side of the #3 carb. The vents on the float bowls are vented to atomspere and connect to nothing. You may have a vent hose coming from underneath the fuel tank if you have a gas guage, it will vent to atomsphere. The vent line on the right side of 1 carb, right side of 2 carb and left side of 4 carb is usually to atomsphere. (different for VM carbs) You should have CV carbs though.

Earl

Originally posted by Colin
    My first post because I need Help!
    I decided to remove the carbs and replace the intake manifold o-rings but forgot to take note where all the carb fuel and vent hoses attach to. I cannot find any info or pictures on the routing. There are four connections onthe carbs, and I am pretty sure I got the fuel and vacuum lines to the pettycock correct, and I think the other 2 are float bowl vents. But when I start it up and apply throttle it dies instantly and it only runs with full choke. I'm pretty sure I've made a simple mistake but can't figure it out.
    I'm getting close to taking it in.
    Cheers
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks Earl,
      I do have them routed correctly then. I'm still not sure why opening the throttle kills the engine.

Comment

Have you (with the engine off) set your petcock to run, sucked on the vacuum hose leading to the petcock for about 30 seconds, the removed the drain plugs on the carb float bowls letting them drain into a small container.
        This checks the gas level in each float bowl. If you have equal amounts of gass in each bowl, then you know it isnt a fuel availability problem. After that, check the position of your throttle plates to see if they are indeed closed when the throttle is fully closed If the throttle plates are closed when at rest and open slightly as the throttle is twisted, they are fine. If still no go, I would check the mixture screws by lightly turning them all the way in, counting turns, then turn them back out to the original setting. That should be about 1 1/2 turns out (at least as a starting point) Assuming the carb pilot passages are not blocked, it should idle.

Earl

Originally posted by Colin
        Thanks Earl,
        I do have them routed correctly then. I'm still not sure why opening the throttle kills the engine.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X