Help Me Find My Missing Exhaust Piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me Find My Missing Exhaust Piece

My bike came missing the piece between the hedder and muffler, no that I have it running decent I need to get the muffler on. Here is the bike here is the Kerker system K2 muffler that came with it. Anyone know were I can get the missing piece?

this is for an 83 GS550ESD it also dident come with a center stand and doesnt look like it will work with the hedder that came on it.

muffler

you need the band clamp to join the muffler to the pipe, and a strap to support the muffler to the frame witch can be had from a hardware store and cut and drilled ( flat stock)try dennis kirks for the clamp or a few other places, you can use a automotive exhaust clamp but they usally do more damage, to the pipe than there worth.

Comment

it doesnt work hooked straight up to the end what I think is there is a bent piece between the 2.

Comment

Yes, you are missing what is called a "Mid-Pipe". It connects the header to the canister and moves the canister further back and up on the bike.
        You can have one custom made at any japanese-auto Muffler shop for about 20 dollars. They can even bend it in whatever shape you need! And that price includes any clamps you need as well.

Dm of mD

Comment

yes, have one made for you at a muffler shop. you can use a ruler if you want to measure the outside diamters of the exhaust header collector pipe and the muffler pipe.

take a coat hanger and bend the coathanger to the shape you need if you want it bent. if you can bring the bike down there to the shop, do that instead.

when you search for a shop, call around and ask for the manager and ask if he or anyone in his shop has done some custom exhaust jobs. this is what i did when i needed a part for my car.

using exhaust clamps would look aweful on the bike...but if you want to paint the midpipe peice, you can't weld it. i would try to see if you can get them to weld it then carefully paint it yourself or go with the bare steel look.

you may want to ask them for stainless steel, it will be more costly, but wont rust.

~Adam

Comment

thanks guys, I wasnt aware exhause shops did bending that cheap. Id would like to stick with steel and I can weld it myself. Whats a good looking clamp for the muffler

Comment

Shops do make pipes that cheap.
              Just don't go to any of the big-named places like "Meineke" or "AAAMCO" and such.

"Meineke", who advertises the "lowest prices" in front of their store, wanted over 150 dollars for a stupid little mid-pipe for my mac exhaust and they also wanted 20 dollars just to bend my canister back into a circular shape when it flew off my bike last week.
              The store where I got my mid-pipe created not only fixed my can back, they didn't even charge me for it!! The mid-pipe I had them make for me only cost 20 dollars with tax.

If you're ever in silver spring, Md go to "Rayco" on Georgia avenue and east-west highway. They rock!

Dm of mD

Comment

i had a local Tuffy do my custom exhaust work, they've been good to me.

like i said, just call, ask for the manager, and ask who does custom work.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                  Shops do make pipes that cheap.
                  Just don't go to any of the big-named places like "Meineke" or "AAAMCO" and such.

"Meineke", who advertises the "lowest prices" in front of their store, wanted over 150 dollars for a stupid little mid-pipe for my mac exhaust and they also wanted 20 dollars just to bend my canister back into a circular shape when it flew off my bike last week.
                  The store where I got my mid-pipe created not only fixed my can back, they didn't even charge me for it!! The mid-pipe I had them make for me only cost 20 dollars with tax.

If you're ever in silver spring, Md go to "Rayco" on Georgia avenue and east-west highway. They rock!

Dm of mD
                  I called rayco once about some tube bending for some custom mounting stuff I was making for a resturant once. The guy I talked to was very rude and wanted like 200 bucks to do 4 bends, I just hung up on him and bought a tube bender. To bad it cant bend thin tubing.

Comment

Oh man, sorry to hear that.
                    They're always so friendly and nice to me. Perhaps they can't bend small tubing either?

Maybe they were having a super busy day. I would try them again and be sure that they won't do the mid-pipe for you before I gave up.

Give em another shot...I'm sure they'll help you for close to nothing.

Dm of mD

Comment

What I ment was I wish the bender I bought could do thin wall tubing, the project I called about was not thin wall it was schd 40. I have no doubt about Rayco being A holes, there not that close anyway. But I did find a place in manassas Va that does custom exhuast bending, I have has a busy week and havent gotten a chance to call them yet. So anyway were is a good place to get a good clamp for for the muffler?

Comment

Working...
                      X