still RR problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still RR problems?

so i just got my new RR from electrex (RR/9)...after rigging the thing up i was expecting a larger jump in voltage then i got. my batttery registered at 11.8v(no load) and rose only to 12.9v at 5krpm? i did all the stator test (for the umteenth time) and it is working great (80Vac at 5rpm) nonetheless i was quiete confused. i went for a 20mile ride and my batter tested @ 12.3V (no load) and maby 13V at 5k rpm's...i tested everthing when i got home this time i pulled the head lamp fuse and the signal fuse. this time i was up to 13.5 and 5krpm.........please help im baffled. im going to assume that im charging because of the eventual increase in Voltage. (ps, new battery)

thanks
    82 gs750ez

Re: still RR problems?

Do you have the red lead on your R/R wired directly to the battery positive terminal and is the black lead on your R/R wired directly to the battery negative terminal? If they are not, then do so.

Earl

Originally posted by to0_pr0per
    so i just got my new RR from electrex (RR/9)...after rigging the thing up i was expecting a larger jump in voltage then i got. my batttery registered at 11.8v(no load) and rose only to 12.9v at 5krpm? i did all the stator test (for the umteenth time) and it is working great (80Vac at 5rpm) nonetheless i was quiete confused. i went for a 20mile ride and my batter tested @ 12.3V (no load) and maby 13V at 5k rpm's...i tested everthing when i got home this time i pulled the head lamp fuse and the signal fuse. this time i was up to 13.5 and 5krpm.........please help im baffled. im going to assume that im charging because of the eventual increase in Voltage. (ps, new battery)

thanks
    82 gs750ez
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

thant wont fry anything?

Comment

Not a chance. :-) The red lead from the R/R is DC + output and should connect to the + battery terminal. The black lead from the R/R is DC - and should connect to the - battery terminal. This eliminates any possible resistance between the DC output of the R/R and battery it is trying to charge. Trust me, :-) :-)

Earl

thant wont fry anything?

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

thanks a million....

i did as you said...im still only at 13V at 5rpm...i think its charging...the stator and the RR is contected together with but connectors...

Comment

13 volts at 5K rpm is unusually low. It should be in the 14.2 to 14.8 range.
            You did say your stator is producing 80 volts AC between each of the three legs when the engine is running at 5K rpm, correct. You get three separate readings and each measurement is 80 volts?

Earl

thanks a million....

i did as you said...im still only at 13V at 5rpm...i think its charging...the stator and the RR is contected together with but connectors...

Comment

yup 80Vac at 5krpm...ill buy the stator if need be, but everthing seemed to be pointing to the RR? (i followed the chart to a T)

Comment

That's weird. With my stock stator and electrex RR I get almost 15 volts.
                Something doesn't sound right. You sure the stator is good?

Dm of mD

Comment

Is your battery good? A sulphated battery won't allow the voltage to rise, also if your water is low you will have the same problem. Make sure you use DISTILLED water in the battery, tap water has impuritys that lower the boiling point and you will boil the water out of your battery when it's charging.

Comment

I'll agree with Detman,
                    On my electrex reg. I get 14.5 to 14.8v.
                    That's with a stock stator.

I get that on anything over 2500rpm.

Mo

Comment

some wild guessing:

Have You connected all three stator wires straight to the RR or is the third one connected to the green/white (?) wire going thru the lighting switch? And if so, have You turned the lights on?

Is the fuse box OK? The red wire (power supply) goes thru the fuse box and if it's genuine suzuki quality, the highest resistance I've measured there was 4-5 ohms...

Comment

Precisely, what AC voltage do you get on each phase?

Earl

yup 80Vac at 5krpm...ill buy the stator if need be, but everthing seemed to be pointing to the RR? (i followed the chart to a T)

Comment

Working...
                        X