81 1100e oil filter-oops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 1100e oil filter-oops?

Ok- so I got one of those ebay deals on 10 Fram CH6000 filters. The auction did list them as being for 8 valve engines (replacing Suzuki part# 165410-45040- which is the exact same filter that I've got in my garage right now from the dealer for my 16 valve engine). This sounded wrong to me (wise man that I am) so I did some checking around and found K&N filter listing and cross reference- for the gs 1100e it is KN-133. And under cross reference KN-133 crosses to Suzuki part# 165410-45040. So my formula now goes like this: KN133= 165410-45040 = CH6000. Then I bid and win! The only problem is I got curious and starting looking here on the resources and found mention of the fact that the CORRECT Fram filter is CH6001 for my bike (something about the gasket is different?). Which leads me to my question- how bad did I screw up? Even if the filter will physically fit ( I assume it will) will it mess up my engine if I use it? And lastly- does anyone know if the spare factory filter I've got now is the right one?

You did fine. The filter are the same. The rubber o-ring gasket can be reused several times if you make sure you don't pinch it. If you do pinch it, you can order just the gasket from Suzuki.

Hap

Comment

The only difference between the two as noted is the O ring

Comment

I bought two correct Fram filters with gaskets soon after I bought the bike. I threw the Suzuki(?) gasket away at my first oil change in favour of the new Fram gasket. The Fram gasket was a teeny bit narrower, and it allowed a little oil to weep out. I'd lose a couple of drops onto my garage floor every time I put the bike away. I bought a new Suzuki gasket, and the problem ceased. I continue to reuse the Suzuki gasket.

Use a Suzuki gasket. Sleep well.

Comment

Thank you all- I feel much better now!

Comment

So your the one who took them from me.

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay
              Actually it may have been me...I won about 20 of them on ebay about a month ago...

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                Originally posted by arveejay
                Actually it may have been me...I won about 20 of them on ebay about a month ago...

Hap

Yeah, I was hoping to get them cheap. I just recently found this auction thru a search and was looking for a bargain. I hadn't really looked at filters intentionally. I know they were worth more than what I bid, but I am wanting some stuff later this week and didn't want to tie up too much this early this week. I need to have a little saved back for a couple things when they eventually come up on ebay. I really don't look at bidders, I bookmark things when I find them and go through this list daily. The day it's auction ends, I put my max bid in before I go to work and check it later to see if it's mine or not. If the auction is ending after work I will wait to the last minute if possible or before I go to bed. It's a gamble and I LOVE IT.

Comment

Working...
                X