Possible to lube tach cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to lube tach cable?

Pulling off the hwy today after doing 120 Km/hour for about 10 mins and my tack is bouncing away as the rpm's are dying.
    This is the first time I noticed this. Is this due to my tach cable being dry?
    If so, is there a way to lube the cable?
    Or, am I going to need a new cable soon?
    I should mention that after I stopped at the stop light on the off ramp, the tach was back to normal and I drove the rest of the way without it bouncing.

Thanks...

Remove the inner cable, comes out from the engine side clean it and grease it with some white grease, Or

Comment

So I can disconnect the cable from the engine side and pull the inner cable out? Then grease it?
      Or should I pull the whole cable off, then pull the inner cable out and grease it?

Thanks again...

Comment

Check out this thread, which answers your question. If you look at the bottom of your tach, you'll see where to unscrew the cable.

Comment

Great thanks udco, that does help.
          I looked at the cable last night and I can see where it screws into the tach and into the engine. I'll attempt to remove it tonight and lube it up.

Comment

Well the cable greasing went great. I pulled the tach cable out after I disconnected it from the engine, and greased it with white lithium grease. Tested it out and no more bouncing needle. I also greased the speedo cable at the same time (pulled it from the front wheel end).
            Question: How often should I grease these cables?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X